New
Find
Notify
Tools

which house paint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live in Texas where it is very hot and sunny. I have Hardee Board siding. Current paint lasted several years but now looks chalky. I hate painting, but will be doing it myself. Reviews indicate that Sherwin Williams Duration paint is a good choice but pricey at $55 per gallon. Opinion?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy heck 55$.
it has to have some type of uv protection in it for where you are.
i just painted most all of my house this summer took most of a month.
i used clark and kensington all in one with primer in the paint. from ace hardware for 35$ per gallon.
the house had a chalky like look to it from sun fading and i have no idea when it was last painted.
the paint is quite thick as it comes from the can and it has some silicone solids in it.
i don't know if the finish type [satin/shiney] adds or subtracts to the fading.
don't forget to caulk all the seams and stuff.
i looked at just about all the paints available and could see little differences between the major brands.

oh and quite often you get a bit of a price break on a 5 gallon bucket.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago SW used to make a paint that had some type of "radiant barrier" additive in it. It was supposed to be like tech-shield for your walls. Not sure the name if it etc.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
I use Behr from Home Depot on all my rentals, and I'm in FL, so sun is an issue here too. When the paint chalks, try washing with a brush. If you're not happy with the results, at least you're now ready to paint.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get with the S/W commercial/industrial rep and ask him for advice...they know a lot more than the store counter person about paint and painting requirements for the best outcome. You should be able to find your local rep on their website or ask at the store. No bull....S/W have the BEST paint on the market. Period! I have a lot of experience with wall and floor coatings for industrial applications and $55 a gallon is nothing Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted this question a year ago and just got around to painting--just finished yesterday. I did go with Sherwin Williams paint and lucked out it was on sale 30% off. Be a few years before I can tell you if it was worth the price.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Moore, but also a little pricey.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I live in Texas where it is very hot and sunny. I have Hardee Board siding. Current paint lasted several years but now looks chalky. I hate painting, but will be doing it myself. Reviews indicate that Sherwin Williams Duration paint is a good choice but pricey at $55 per gallon. Opinion?

In the area of paint, you get what you pay for. Cheap paint is cheap because it does not last. If you do not like to paint buy the proper product. For Hardee Board, Duckback Products makes the factory spec coating that will adhere and last. It has a 25 year warrantee. I would look at this product first.
https://www.superdeck.com/prod...ssional-finish-5800/

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I posted this question a year ago and just got around to painting--just finished yesterday. I did go with Sherwin Williams paint and lucked out it was on sale 30% off. Be a few years before I can tell you if it was worth the price.

You'll like Duration if you followed the directions. It's meant to go on very thick which is the opposite of what most people try. I've had it on my house for 5 or. 6 years now and it still looks new.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just used Sherwin Williams Duration to paint our kitchen and breakfast area. As Harry says, you put it on thick but it covers very well. Another nice thing about it being thick is that you seem to get fewer drips and runs. One gallon did our kitchen and breakfast area which sort of surprised me since I overbought paint. Once it dries, it almost has a plastic sort of look and feel to it, hence the positive reputation for durability and wash-ability I guess. Really looks nice. I read reviews talking about it showing brush strokes and the like, no issues in my case. In terms of how it lasts, after one day it is doing fine. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I, too, hate painting.
When the outside of my house, that is not brick, covered with alum. or vinyl, needed paint I bought Ben. Moore oil base white paint. I had the painters scrape and sand then prime, wait a week then paint.
I don't want to paint again in this life.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote