New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Bear Lake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On my way to GB and Tree river in Canada. Flights suck so I thought I would fish around for stories from those who have gone before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting in another airport on the way home. Good trip, took my 74 year old Mom since her Dad, my Grandpa fished Great Bear in the 60s and 70s.
I caught 52 Lake Trout with the biggest being 40 pounds. Spent 2 days fishing Arctic Char up north on the coast. I got 7 the biggest was a Male in full colors that weighed 21 pounds. I got measurements and photos to get a replica of the char. Fun trip for us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great I need to get a char or two sometime.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading the stories about Great Bear and Great slave lake fishing as a kid just as you in the 60's and 70's. Glad to hear it is still "alive".
Was it a fun trip (accomidations, guides, etc)? obviously great fishing. Curious why they have stopped advertising these trips...

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They still advertise. There is only one outfitter for all of Great Bear. Plummer's.

They have a web page. I wish I could master the photos here because it's fantastic country.

It was fun to fish the lake I heard about when I was a little kid. I can still remember my Grandpa's stories of fishing the lake in the 60's.

Do a search for Plummer's lodges. They also outfit Slave Lake but I have no experience with that lake except its right at Yellowknife.