New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverking Costa Rica
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I put a deposit for tarpon fishing with Silver King in costa rica in 2018.

I may go this year in April too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I fished the Rio Colorado river and mouth area just offshore for 7-8 years. Stayed at Casa Mar Lodge in the jungle outside of town( closed now). All three lodges there fish the same areas. Best tarpon fishing I have ever seen. Our last trip 4 years ago, my buddy and I jumped over 150 in 5 days and released almost hundred, most on flies. You WILL catch tarpon and Silver King is a nice place.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the best time of year to go for Tarpon??

My son has been wanting to do that trip for a long time. We may try it next year.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Most of my trips have been in April and May but I have also done well in Nov. The fish hang around offshore just beyond the river mouth year round and periodically move into the river to spawn or just follow the tide to feed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
What is the best time of year to go for Tarpon??

My son has been wanting to do that trip for a long time. We may try it next year.

I am a total newbie at this but this is what I was told

Oct/NO

MArch/April/May

Moon phases matter.

Best to fish on new moon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We may try that next year in March for spring break.

We are going to Costa Rica for spring break this year, but we will be fishing in the Pacific with Zancudo Lodge.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip, Mike. I'd love to fish warm blue water for just about anything.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
One thing about Rio Colorado tarpon fishing. It is definitely not clear blue water. The river is always dark stained or muddy and the fishing offshore beyond the bar at the river's mouth is likewise. There is no sight casting to fish, although you see them a lot when they roll on the surface. The fly fishing requires no casting skill as you simply strip line out 50-75 feet and jig the fly from a drifting boat offshore or from an anchored boat in the river. Conventional tackle fishing offshore is trolling with large rapalas and seahawk jigs. Running the bar heading out in the morning against a rising tide will get your attention- 6' deep water with 4' breakers will have you praying. It's a short run to calm water but it seems like an eternity. More than once we had to turn back and fish the river as it was just too dangerous. Remember these are 20' narrow beam center consoles with 125 hp out boards. You fish 3-4 hours in the morning, take a lunch break/siesta till maybe 2, then another3-4 hours. No long boat runs as the river mouth/bar is less than a mile from the lodges and you might just run a mile or 2 upriver above the town to fish the river channel. Light tackle fishing back in the jungle lagoons for fresh water cousins of peacock bass and piranhas is great fun, especially on a light fly rod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll have a great time. I used to go twice a year to Rio Parismina, a bit to the south. I started out going to Parismina Tarpon Rancho as a kid. The experience is said to be very similar to that on the Rio Colorado.

As jdollar notes, going back into the river and its various tributaries for light tackle fishing is worthwhile. It's also a great way to see monkeys and other jungle life. The snook fishing isn't what it was 25 years ago, but there are still some big ones caught every year with bucktail jigs in the surf. I caught a 42.5 incher back in 2007 on a trolled Rapala Magnum just inside a river mouth.

If you fish with conventional tackle, it's worth taking some of your own light bass and panfish lures for the rivers. Small floating Rapala minnows work very well, as do poppers, tiny torpedoes, buzz baits, and small spinners. Also, jigging a heavy duty Rat-L-Trap Super Trap (with internal wire harness) can be a fun way to catch tarpon if you want a bit more involvement than the usual circle hook and sardine routine. When I went, I would take my own tarpon rig spooled with braid and could feel every vibration as I jigged the Rat-L-Trap, with the strike nearly taking the rod out of my hands. Fun stuff.