New
Find
Notify
Tools

38hrs Door To Door For Bluefin Tuna
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently returned from a bluefin trip to Hatteras, NC. Left Philly area after work midweek, drove down US-13 eastern shore, and got to the boat/dock about midnight in time to have a beer and go to bed. Left dock at 6am, started trolling around 8am and were into fish 10minutes later. I had the rod on our first bluefin around 9am, and maybe a half hour later had him below the boat with a good size hammer head over top. The mate was tossing frozen baitfish at the shark to distract it, which worked, and a little bit later we were able to release it (est 80-100lbs). Over the next few hours we jigged and pulled in some black fin tuna, jacks and false albacore before hooking into a 144lb, 65inch bluefin on live bait, which we decided was the keeper (only allowed one under 73inches). Caught one more appx 100lb bluefin and went to dock getting in around 5pm.
After photos, fish cleaning and packing our car we left close to 6pm. Don't know how I didn't wind up driving thru someone's living room on the way home but got in about 1:30am.
Door to dock back to door 38hrs and couldn't have been a better trip for the bluefin bite off Hatteras.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report Love those tunas Can't wait till April for my annual tuna trip to Baja

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote