Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Tarpon fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to a wedding last week of May
In Sarasota, Fl. I have decided to continue on to Key West for a few days. Tarpon fishing has always been on my bucket list, I could stop for a day or two in Boca Grande and do the pass or do my fishing in the flats in the Keys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My new love is tarpon fishing.

I mainly do it on east coast between cocoa beach and fort pierce. Our season is more July August September

I will check around with a few of my buddies on your time frame and get back.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking. Tarpon fishing is supposed to be good at Boca Grande from May until fall. I hope your buddies have a recommendation on a guide. I would be able to fish May 23 and 24.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have not fished the pass, but videos make it look like a war zone.

I have fished both the flats and under the bridges at Marathon. I would do both again in a heart beat.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I much prefer Costa Rica. Beautiful scenery, few boats, AND TONS OF VERY LARGE TARPON!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Just returned from the Rio Colorado Lodge in Costa Rica. Outstanding fishing on huge tarpon estimated to weigh between 120 to 190 each!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That is also my experience there. My largest was estimated by the guide at 225-250 lbs. Took 2 1/2 hours on a fly rod with 20 lb tippet. AND NO COMBAT FISHING, BOCA GRANDE STYLE!

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Actually, I miss-stated where we stayed. We were at Silver King Lodge, not Rio Colorado. Rio Colorado appeared very run down with no sign of guests or staff. Silver King Lodge was top shelf with excellent guides, boats, food and facilities.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Damn jdollar, that must have been a hell of a fight. My fish were all under 200 lbs and really kicked my ass on conventional and spin gear!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xgrunt:
Going to a wedding last week of May
In Sarasota, Fl. I have decided to continue on to Key West for a few days. Tarpon fishing has always been on my bucket list, I could stop for a day or two in Boca Grande and do the pass or do my fishing in the flats in the Keys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No info on the gulf coast.

The tarpon will be in the keys till May.

Sorry could not be of more help.

East coast picks up in June July.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Damn jdollar, that must have been a hell of a fight. My fish were all under 200 lbs and really kicked my ass on conventional and spin gear!

I have a deposit for sliverking.

How many fish per day we’re hooked and landed.

Mike

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I missed several strikes each day, but still released two a day except for the day we went up river.

About the same for our group of eight, except one gal, who couldn't weigh more than 110 lbs, released five one day.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

It’s been about 6 years since I was last there but our last trip was the trip of a lifetime. My BIL and I fished 5 days, jumped 152,and landed 105, most on a fly rod. My BIL keeps a fishing diary and we got the numbers from it. Fish were everywhere from far upriver to a mile or so offshore and along the coast.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wow! I thought our trip was awesome, but it doesn't compare to yours. I'll definetly go back, probably with my grandson.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
This is what the head of a 225+ lb tarpon look like. The guide couldn’t lift her any higher and he bent the gaff to get this picture.

https://i.imgur.com/4VQKftW_d....humb&fidelity=medium

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said her. Are the females bigger?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yes. As they get older and bigger, my guide called them yellow bellies because their belly scales get a yellowish tinge instead of silver.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
We have pretty good Tarpon fishing here in Eastern NC from late July through early Sept.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

It’s been about 6 years since I was last there but our last trip was the trip of a lifetime. My BIL and I fished 5 days, jumped 152,and landed 105, most on a fly rod. My BIL keeps a fishing diary and we got the numbers from it. Fish were everywhere from far upriver to a mile or so offshore and along the coast.

This is what the keys used to be, sadly, no more. My best day out of Marathon was 26 jumped, with 10 landed, just me an the guide. Fly only for me.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what the head of a 225+ lb tarpon look like. The guide couldn’t lift her any higher and he bent the gaff to get this picture.

https://i.imgur.com/4VQKftW_d....humb&fidelity=medium

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker tu2