New
Find
Notify
Tools

Email not working
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Maybe you guys that are "up" on computer tech stuff can advize me.

I have a old gateway PC with windows 98. Its been working good.

I have verizon yahoo email and also Outlook Express. I usually use the verizon yahoo email to filter the spam then open outlook express and my emails tranfer to it and I use outlook express because its faster and easyer to use.

For no reason all of the sudden I cant "send" emails, I get a pop up that says " error, cant connect to the server". I also get pop ups for the verizon yahoo saying cant connect. I still recieve emails but now I get cant connect to server pop ups when I click on my email tabs

I called verizon and the dude didnt know anything about windows 98 and said he could not help with the problem. A freind that is real good with PCs told me its my internet service that has a issue, and wait a couple days and my email will work again. well so far it still doesnt work
Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Your Yahoo mail is from a browser, correct?
After you read the mail can you still get to any websites?

Try this: Leave outlook out of the picture.

open the browser and go to your mail and try to read and send an e.mail.

If that works then I'll bet that Outlook is disconection you from the web after you read/download the mail.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Outlook is disconection you from the web after you read/download the mail.

Yes, once you open outlook express the emails transfer from verizon yahoo.

I can read email but cant send any or reply. I get a error box, says cant connect to server, but incomeing emails do come in even though I get the cannot connect error.
The problem has not resolved itself, still cant send emails

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out the "simple" problem. Verizon just put a block on the SMTP 25 port that Outlook Express is set up for. Apparently its to block spammers. They failed to inform their customers of his change.
Changeing the SMTP to 587 port fixed it

"If you receive this error code you are more than likely having an issue with your internet service provider (ISP) blocking access to port 25. You can change your SMTP port number that your email client uses within your client configuration. The standard alternate port for use is 587."