Find
Notify
Tools

Are Smart Speakers listening to us?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted
First, let me say that I don't have a smart speaker because I don't believe I have a use for one. But it seems that the younger generations have determined that it is the latest must-have device in their home. I never considered them a problem until I heard a 30 second news filler on the local TV news last week.

It seems that Amazon's Alexa has the ability to listen to an argument between you and your spouse and then interrupt with a possible solution to the disagreement. I can imagine many arguments would escalate quickly when a speaker butted in and took sides.

What troubles me more is if the speakers are listening to every word we say during an argument, when does the speaker decide to just stay quiet and call the SWAT team? The conversations with the speaker are recorded and can be used as evidence. Do you really want a 3rd party listening to everything said in your home. Has everyone read George Orwell's book 1984?

What if the speaker hears you tell your wife how much you paid for the new gun, and then interrupts and tells her what you really paid for it. That's when the fight started.

Shhhh.....They're listening

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I refuse to use any of what is called SMART electronics in my house.

I do not trust any of them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a quick test, ask Alexa or Cortana what's playing on the radio. Great strides have been made in AI.
George Orwell had no idea just how prescient he was; 1984 was supposed to be a protest, not an instruction manual.
Lastly, if the government mandated this, would we accept it as readily as when it is pitched as a must-have luxury item?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These days I get enjoyment in comparing new photos of mr facebook with older ones .It's svery obvious that the earlier smiles have disappeared to be replaceded by looks of confusion, panic , etc ! I for one knew he was a fraud from Day 1.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
These days I get enjoyment in comparing new photos of mr facebook with older ones .It's svery obvious that the earlier smiles have disappeared to be replaceded by looks of confusion, panic , etc ! I for one knew he was a fraud from Day 1.

He is the biggest asshole in the world today!

Last year he was getting himself set to run for president!

Would make both HILARY and Trump look like angels! clap

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Jack Posobiec did an experiment on this using the term Friskies.

He doesn’t own a cat, and said he didn’t own a cat in the experiment, but within 5 days he was getting ads for friskies.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:
Jack Posobiec did an experiment on this using the term Friskies.

He doesn’t own a cat, and said he didn’t own a cat in the experiment, but within 5 days he was getting ads for friskies.

A good friend and I noticed this with his Android phone. One day we were talking about 7-up. Less that two hours later he got ads for 7-up. Another time we were talking about Yeti coolers and within a few hours got ads for them. Understand - he NEVER searched for either on the phone - it was just on his desk - listening.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here's a link where a person got 1,700 recordings of someone else from Alexa:

https://www.popularmechanics.c...m-a-strangers-house/

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next they'll come with webcams so that Alexa can more accurately determine what you want, from the context of the room image. Happy Motoring...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Next they'll come with webcams so that Alexa can more accurately determine what you want, from the context of the room image. Happy Motoring...

They already do that. There is an Alexa that has a camera so you can coordinate the proper fashion. It’s called Echo Look. You can’t make this shit up...

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I believe there are currently several lawsuits in various levels of the courts looking into whether or not a search warrant is needed before looking into the things they record. It's not if. They are listening.

I have one that was a gift. The only time I will give it power is when Auburn is playing a sport on radio coverage only, and my radio is not picking up well. IHeartRadio will tune to the station via the internet and give me crystal clear reception. Then it gets cut off.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have one so called smart TV.

I have disconnected it’s mike, and it’s camera! clap

Warns me e Roy time I switch it on about them rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WAS TALKING NEAR MY G7 CELL PHONE ONE DAY ND MOMENTS LATER AN ADD POPPED UP FOR SOMETHING I MENTIONED. THE phone was turned on laying there on charge. I was not using it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker That's totally spooky!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My sister stopped at Whole Foods the other day for a cup of coffee. That afternoon she received a phone call asking if she would rate her service at Whole Foods. She got all freaked out about how did they know she was there, etc. I asked her if she paid with a credit card + she did so I told her, theres your answer

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you have a credit card or a cell phone, they know exactly what you are doing.

Sometimes, this can be of benefit.

Every time anyone of us travels to another country, as soon as we switch our phones on, we get a message from our respective embassy in that country.

Welcoming us to whatever country it is, and giving us a phone number top call in case of any emergency or required assistance.