THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    14 Twist Swift and 60 Grain Bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 Twist Swift and 60 Grain Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a M77 with a sporter weight barrel and I 'm looking for good loads with a 60 grain bullet, preferably the 60 grain Nosler Partition. I know I'm on the upper end of bullet weights for a 14 twist but I'd like to give it a go. Looking for a good bullet for whitetails. Thanks!!

Posts: 301 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobrajet--55 grain cup and core been working here as good as it gets.

Posts: 3051 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle may or may not shoot that particular Nosler Partition well, but if it doesn't it will not be because of the twist. 1-14 is fully adequate, particularly at Swift velocities. I've loaded the same bullet in .222's with 1-14 twists and it's done fine.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
For a 1n14 twist I would look at the

Barnes 50gr TTSX Item# 30185
Barnes 55gr TTSX Item# 30187

Hitting a whitetail with a 50 or 55gr bullet vs a 60gr is going to be a pretty similar reaction

Posts: 2856 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hitting a whitetail with a 50 or 55gr bullet vs a 60gr is going to be a pretty similar reaction

And if it's the right spot the reaction will be a dead whitetail.

Posts: 3051 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting.

Jim

Posts: 356 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot several whitetails with my Ruger Swift using 60 gr. Hornady SpirePoints. Not sure of the powder but I think 4064. All one shot kills: distances varied from maybe 75-150 yds. Bullets found under the hide on the off side. Lots of good, probably better bullets out there, than the Hornady for deer. In my limited experience, I think the Swift with 1-14 barrel with the right bullet equals a great deer killer to reasonable ranges but as always, bullet placement is VITAL.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
They shoot good, 60gr partition, out of my model 70. 24"barel. velocity 3415f/s oal set at 2.72".
Imr 4064 ccibr2 primers.

Posts: 2017 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I've shot several whitetails with my Ruger Swift using 60 gr. Hornady SpirePoints.

Yes, both the "old fashioned" 55 and 60 grain Hornady Spire soft points seem to hold together adequately for medium sized game like whitetails. If you want to use a "premium" bullet the the Nosler Partition is the ticket, but if you just want a dead deer then the Hornady's will get the job done for a couple of nickels less per shot.

I'm hoarding some of the old 60 grain Nosler Solid Base (lead tipped) bullets which I like as a game bullet in .22 centerfires.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote