THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I don't see it used much these days but I use mine a lot

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't see it used much these days but I use mine a lot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of my favorite walk about 22s for coyotes at any range is my light weight Ruger with a dredful composite stock, but what the hell it shoots tiny groups all day long at awesome velocity and its a great off hand shooter for coyotes..kills like lightening and don't have to hold over much at 4000 fps plus..but the wind will get ya on ocassion. I have a lot of fun with it, and its become my truck gun..I have a 3x9 on it, thats all I can handle off hand or with a pickup hood rest in the Owhyee dessert of Idaho..

What is it??? Well, I have no 220 swift friends they all got old and died I guess or cant walk or drive for that matter...Some are even too young to know what it is, and all I get it whazat???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It's one of my favorites.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It's not a walk around rifle though

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is that? mine weighs 9 lbs with scope and loaded..comes with a sling, and with the weight it is easy to hold steady off hand..A walk about need not be a fwt rifle imo, thats just an option..FWT rifles are hard to hold when out of breath or whatever.... that extra weight and a 24 to 26 inch barrel steadies a rifle, at least for me..and yes I have a couple of fwt. rifles that I also use for walkabout from time to time as an option but mostly as a truck gun..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I love shooting the Ruger No. 1V 220 and 204 No. 1B off of bipods at prairie dogs, both have high power scopes (8x32 and 6x24) and weigh in at 10.5 pounds. For a walkabout rifle I like my TC Encore in 223 Rem with a 4x12 scope and weighs 7.5 pounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was young mine was a DAISY RED RYDER. I used to pour a little bit of oil down the barrel to help POISON the big game starlings and whatever I could shoot at!

Only IRON SIGHTS of course!

Hip Big Grin

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a piker with only 2 220's.
one a rem adl in a bdl stock [factory screw up]

and a 112 savage single shot.
the 112 gets pushed.

the Remington gets real soft super open pointed 22lr case home swaged bullets stroked along at 3+K.
it's varmint 'chunk' record is about 14' almost straight up.

that leaves me the 223 below, and the 22-250 in between.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako L579 Varmint .220 Swift.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar--other than the stock, what is the difference in an ADL and a BDL?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
220S, he’ll yess.
I’ve had one for 20 plus years. Actually had three, two heavy barrels that I used for PDs. They were fine but way more recoil and muzzle jump. I sold them.
The one I’ve had for 20 plus years is a blue printed R700, 26” Lilja barrel, and McMillan Sako hunter stock, with a Leupold 4-12X on top.it’s very accurate on coyotes. I shoot 50 or 52 Berger’s mostly.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray I don't really know.

I think the barrel shape, a black piece of wood on the forearm tip, or something like that.

I have only had 3 Remington anythings that lasted more than a few months.
one is that 220, the other is a 3200 trap gun, and the third is the 8 mauser 700 that shoots 1-1/2 to 2" groups.

oh wait, make that 4.
I do have a 722 300 Savage in a Manlichter stock that got worked over by a local smith some years back.
forgot about that one.

everything else has either broke or the groups sucked worse than the 8 Mauser.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Lamar--other than the stock, what is the difference in an ADL and a BDL?

The differences are stock as mentioned plus the BDL has a floor plate release, the ADL is a blind magazine.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew the BDL (someone said Better Damned Looking) had the ebony tip and hinged floorplate, that the ADL does not have, thus my question what was the other difference? Seems if Lamars stock had those two features it would be a BDL? Is it stamped ADL?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
There isn't any other difference between the two other than stock and floorplate. The barreled actions are identical.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot a lot of deer (mostly culling) with a 220 Swift with various loads and factory stuff..and as I recall only one required a follow up shot and even it was an instant knock down and could not get up..The minus side is blood shot everything, and I do not like that..I like the 60 gr. HP, but even the 40 gr. bullets kill like a lighting strike..pretty amazing caliber those hot 22s, some for the 22-250..v

My swift is older special run: stainless bead blasted, Ruger 77 with a black composite stock, dark stainless bottom metal, slimmer than most and incredibly accurate..It replaced a collectable Rem BDL to nice to hunt with, and it shoots as well or better..I lean towards Rugers these days with them now making their own barrels.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 220 Swift barrel for my Thompson Encore that has a 1:8 twist. It shoots the 75gr Amax and the 77gr SMK into tiny little groups. It also shoots the 55gr Vmax like a house on fire. Love that rifle.
I have only shot one coyote with it so far and the SMK left a nasty wound on exit with parts of the lungs pulled out. It's not fur friendly at all. My friend hunts with a Ruger M77 220 Swift that has a pencil barrel and a pretty nice piece of wood on it. He has dumped numerous coyote with it as well as Badger and a few other pests.

I really like the caliber

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer I shoot the rather new Nosler 64 gr. solid base bullet, and its a real sho nuff deer killer, with complete penetration lengthwise with the bullet coming to rest in the neck and shoulder skin. On broadside shots I have not yet recovered a bullet and the exit holes are nickel to fifty cent size..Good bullet...My gun loves the 52 gr. Hornady done much experimenting with it, it shoots about any bullet apparently and to the same POI, so it's the perfect truck gun. I have a number of loads ready to shoot this spring.Then there is the Hornady 60 gr. sp or hp and it works in all the hot 22s from the 222 to the swift and thats surprising.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120