THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger RSI 243, 85 X bullet, Hog....pics

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger RSI 243, 85 X bullet, Hog....pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
FYI

243, 3100 mv, 240 yds, DRT..dead right there/in tracks.

Broke both shoulders/clipped bottom spine stopped just in hide offside.

Bobby Tomek always so kind to post pics of terminal performance of bullets....thought I'd chime in ...

Yes, I do regret selling that handy rifle...and the 6x Swaro on top...nice package....danged handy....and as you can see, deadly.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5br,

Fine pig, great pix. Looks like the only triple shock I've ever recovered. Loaded some 85 grainers for my Sako 243 varmint tonight.
Good huntin' and shooting to you and yours.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TSX is one great bullet. I have used them only in the .222 and loaded some for friends, one recovered a 300 grain .375 from a buffalo, perfectly mushroomed, it looked like the one on your picture. He also shoots them out of his .257 Weatherby when he hunts anything up to big Turkish wild boar.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those excellent photos. It seems the bullet did exactly as advertised -- and put a rather large slab of bacon on the ground in short order... Big Grin

I've been loading the 80 grain TTSX in a 24" 25x30-30 for our oldest (16), and it's proven to be extremely accurate in that Contender barrel.

The MV is 3058 fps and should easily do the trick out to 200 yards or so if he puts it where the hog "lives". He had been using the 85 grain Nosler BT at about the same velocity and had no problems taking a couple porkers with it (he knew, however, to avoid direct placement on the shoulder with the BT).

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I too Bobby have used on occasion bullets I knew were 'soft' and made sure to avoid bad angles/hard bone and results were fine, same gun above, was sighted in 3 years earlier with 70 TNTs so that was what I grabbed on a.m. on the way out....doe came out, facing me, just took her in the neck....must say, not much left other than hide! Wow. 3500mv violent reaction..another time 105 amax with 6BR, 3 deer came out, one at 200 facing away, shot dead into spine bullet evaporating 2840mv, but DRT. Other 2 were at 400 yds, used my mil dot to double lung one, got an exit with reduced impact speed, (still carrying 1,000 lbs, due to high .500 bc) and left a golf ball sized exit, deer went maybe 25 yds, lungs jellied.

That 85 x (now TSX) and 95 B tips are on my 'go to' list for bullets I can expect to penetrate well from any angle AND expand well. I took a deer long ago with a 100 PT and it was less than impressive. Seems like the wound channel was small and deer usually are not that large/heavy built so I think an 85 BTHP Sierra or 87 Hornady, either HP or SP will do just as well broadside in lungs.

Most users of the Sierra gameking above as you likely know report exits on deer. My son blew a hole the size of a grapefruit out a Tx deer back around 99 at 300 yds with a Low Wall 243, and immediately shot another at 225 or so, put into shoulder it looked like a 270/130gr hit it, unreal damage.

Yep, your 16 yr old will do well with those 25 ttsx and further than 200 yds if need be. Way to go teaching him shot placement, would not expect less from you Wink

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumbExcellent! I wish we had hogs up here to do informal "performance tests" on. Very good job, 6.5 BR. Did you shoot that one or did your son?
Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote