New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 compact .260 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys it has been quite some time since I have been on. Recently I got a nice M77 compact in .260 Rem thinking it may make a nice deer rifle for one of my grandsons who will possibly be hunting in a short 5 years. What powder do you all suggest for the short 18 inch barrel? I am planning to try Nosler 100 grain Partitions as the bullet.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Donald
If you are thinking of having your grandson shoot reduced loads (I noticed you picked a light bullet) you should try H4895.
Lot's of loads on the Hodgdon website. You will see what I'm talking about when you review their information on youth or reduced loads but basically they take a load 60% of a full power load of H4895.
Worked great when my oldest boy was little in his .284 Win.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
My 10 year old shoots a Remington 7 in 260. His has a 20" barrel and with 120 gr Sierra ProHunters its done very well with H4831, IMR 4831 and H414. I would give the nod to H414. I have no idea what velocity it's getting but the load is 44.5gr.

It's a light little rifle and he handles the recoil just fine.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers so far.

H414 was a powder I was looking at. I have it and see it in all the books. IMR4895 was another as I have lots of it to work with.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have used from SR 4759 for very light, not loud loads to H414. Smaller amounts of faster powder make less noise and less recoil. All good for little guys. Noise scares more kids than recoil. Yes and even with Muffs on, noise is worth fighting if you want a happy kid and a good shooter.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might add I am also looking for loads for myself till he is ready to shoot. He is only 3 right now.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
I might add I am also looking for loads for myself till he is ready to shoot. He is only 3 right now.

I am thinking on taking by grandson hunting and he is only 3 weeks old. Big Grin

but then I have what I think is the perfect smaller child hunting set up.

A TC contender carbine in 357max that weighs 4.5lbs short, light weight, low noise and low recoil. Easy to use carry.

I have had several children start with it kills deer nicely and they all like it. out to 150yards it works very well over 50 deer have been killed with it.

158gr jsp at 2150

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
I have used from SR 4759 for very light, not loud loads to H414. Smaller amounts of faster powder make less noise and less recoil. All good for little guys. Noise scares more kids than recoil. Yes and even with Muffs on, noise is worth fighting if you want a happy kid and a good shooter.

Thats a very good point. My son's 260 is loud with that short barrel. I suspect an 18" would be even louder. The noise does not bother him but some of his friends that I have shot it are bothered by.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Trump has his way suppressors will no longer need a tax stamp. I could justify one then.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite