THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What has been your experience

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has been your experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What has been your experience with the .223 Nosler Partition 60 grain bullet on deer?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rigged a Savage 223 as a first rifle for my son when he was 9. Three shots, three deer including a 3.5 year, old probably, 170lb on the hoof buck. We recovered the slug from that one, and it was textbook, having lost most of the front, but the rear partition stayed intact. The only caveat is none of the three were farther than 60 yards. Personally, unless there is a recoil-aversion reason, I’d choose at least a 243. I wouldn’t shoot a deer with a 60 Gr partition at 100 yards. Hope that’s helps…

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions use to fall in the Premium category and probably still do. I have found 55 grain cup and core to be all that is needed on deer. Many grandsons, great grandsons, nephews, great nephews have confirmed this.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I think that the Barnes tsx or the CEB's are a better choice. My wife used them for a season, and they did kill deer but one of the two bullets failed to exit. Another deciding factor for me was accuracy, the Noslers did no better then 1.75 inches whereas the Barnes and CEB held under an inch.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the 22 cal partition on deer but have in almost every other diameter and they work as advertised.

I'm loading 64 grain Hammer Hunter (mono metal) bullets for a grandson this year so hopefully we get to see how they do on deer. I've used them on several hunts in a 6.5 wildcat with excellent results.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like Partitions under 25 cal on deer and thats borderline..

Why? because they while they perform as pictured they do not expand as much as a tough cup and core in 6mm and under, even though they are the very best in larger caliber like the 30-06 where they shine..

The best 223 bullet on deer that Ive ever used is the Hornady 60 gr. HP or SP either one..

I base this on game killing results and cull hunting whitetail and even kudu and springbok..

You cannot judge a bullet on game by one or two kills, it takes many and the more the better..I would say 15 as a minimum and much more accurate at 100 and more.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My older son has a shortened barreled (16") American Ruger fitted with a suppressor in 223 Rem. The original owner developed a good accurate load with the Sierra 65gr SBT bullet in front of a maximum charge of H4895. I load this same bullet and charge for my son who has taken a few red deer with it. My lightly built 9 year old grandson shoots this rifle well and will accompany us on our annual weeks tahr hunt in the Alps next year using the 223.
I have yet to chrony the load but from a book velocity of 3100fps from a 24" barrel I would deduct at least 200fps for the 8" shorter barrel.

Bull Tahr are a tough animal with large heavy front shoulders and in winter, a tough skin with long mane covering the front shoulder and neck area.
I'm thinking the longer and heavier 65gr Sierra bullet at lower velocity should penetrate well enough to get in and do damage. Obviously shorter range shots with good animal positioning will be chosen for the 223 and backed up by our 7mm-08s.

Youngest son with his bull tahr taken on our trip this year, one shot 7mm-08 with 140gr SST. Hopefully the 223 won't disgrace itself on a bull like this for my grandson Smiler

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I've killed several WT's with 60 grain Partition's without issue.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't like Partitions under 25 cal on deer and thats borderline..

Why? because they while they perform as pictured they do not expand as much as a tough cup and core in 6mm and under, even though they are the very best in larger caliber like the 30-06 where they shine..

The best 223 bullet on deer that Ive ever used is the Hornady 60 gr. HP or SP either one..

I base this on game killing results and cull hunting whitetail and even kudu and springbok..

You cannot judge a bullet on game by one or two kills, it takes many and the more the better..I would say 15 as a minimum and much more accurate at 100 and more.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it!! tu2

We've had nothing but great luck with the Hornady 60 gr SP here in Texas on deer,hogs and exotics. Mostly head/neck shots but the occassional broadside lung shots haven't dissapointed. I'm talking less than 150yd shots.
These were almost entirely fired from 223's so you get the velocity. Accuracy was always great (not so in any of the .224 Partions I worked with).
I can't imagine a better all around bullet at these speeds.
Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 is deadly on deer up to 200 yards in my experience, both whitetail and big Mule deer..MY kids, grandkids and extended ranching family.. We have shot many deer and Antelope with the 222, 223, 22-250 and 220 Swift..most with the 6o gr. Hornady HP or SP...Better luck than Ive seen with the .243 as a matter of fact.

It seems to me that 2700 to 2800 fps is a magic velocity with most calibers and bullets, but I would not swear to it. I did a somewhat off hand study on deer kills at certain velocities and came up with that for what its worth..lots of perfect bullets recovered at that velocity

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been watching this thread with interest. While I have no disagreement, my young grandson's first shot at deer was with a 223.

At 100 yds, the bullet placement was pretty good but the doe ran off. We tracked, looked, circled until almost dark. Liam was inconsolable! damn near in tears!

Almost at last light...found her, Mood changed quickly, but my point is that a heavier bullet, perhaps larger caliber might have anchored her on the spot .

That first experience is sooo important.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet placement was pretty good, rings a bell for a slow kill...With a small caliber thats not good enough, but can a smaller child handle a larger gun? is a question..

All my kids and my grand kids have used the same cut down .222 Rem,with the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP...only one ran 20 yards after a 200 yard shot by my grandson who is married has two kids and still shoots his deer with that 222 rem.or my 6x45. He is 30 years old now and a cowboy who likes deer meat and horns mean nothing to him..I will bequeth him my 250-3000 in case he goes elk hunting, but he has found an elk honey hole!! in my freezer... wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120