THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Question: .223 WSSM and Heavy for Caliber Bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: .223 WSSM and Heavy for Caliber Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody set up a .223 WSSM to shoot the super heavy .223 bullets?

1) How is accuracy?
2) Velocity?
3) Knowing what you know now would you build another .223 WSSM?

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,

I had a Win M70 Coyote rebarreled with a 1:8 twist barrel.

It loved the 75 A-Max's and Nosler 69 Custom Comp bullets.........using VN N560, in particular.

BUT, the bloody thing wouldn't feed worth a damn, with 3 rounds in the mag. Mad

I now have a 22-243 set up with same twist barrel and it's much more satisfactory Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I screwed a 9 twist Pac Nor onto a Savage action. It loves 75 gr. Amaxes over RL22 with BR-2 primers. Half MOA in a sporter configuration. Very consistent velocities. I run it at about 3300, but there's another node at redline and 3600 fps.

If I would do it again, I might use a dedicated WSSM action --- although that might not allow seating the Amax out far enough. I'd run a tight neck configuration. All in all, it's just a brass case holding a bullet, powder and primer. It's a fun combination to play with, but the cases are very thick and hard, and that's enough "different" that it takes a little bit to figure out.

Next one might be a 22-250 AI, just for grins. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it took me a little bit to figure out my 25 WSSM but it was fun and the rifle shoots like the Hammers of Hell now.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with a 1:7.5" twist 22/250 a while back. Killed the prairie dog's way out there and shot my first 600 yard clean with it.

It liked the 80gr Sierra's best, but the 75gr Hornady bullet's did a better job of splatting the prairie dogs.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
62gr TSXs are killer at about 3600-3750fps. A hog, deer and coyotes nightmare.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think a 24" barrel is enough with the short WSSM case or is 26" an better choice for the fast twist barrel?