Notify
Tools

CZ 527 magazine length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
Hi all,

I have been offered a rebarreled CZ 527. It USED to be 204Ruger but is now .223. The magazine is missing.

It shoots really sweetly - around 1/2 MOA for 5 shots (single loaded).

Does anyone know whether a .223 mag will fit snugly?

Thanks.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bren, whilst I can't answer your specific question I can tell you I have an original CZ 527 Varmint and it is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles it has ever been my pleasure to own.

The very first load, with the very first bullet I tried in the gun, without any trigger, bedding or other modifications went straight in to a 1/3" group at a 100yds and subsequently it will do the same with a variety of different loads, including some factory stuff.

I personally believe the 527 to be one of the great bargains of the current factory production rifles, considering what you get for your money.

If only CZ put as much quality in to their medium and large bore models, they wouldn't be able to build them quick enough.

Best of luck with yours.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get a CZ in .204 Ruger if it were not for the backwards safety. Would think CZ would have corrected this by now, no wait, not been foolish enough to make them to begin with.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the CZ527 its more than just the mag its also the trigger guard.
that said :-
IIRC
204R/222Magnum have the same trigger guard assy as the 223 & its just a case of ordering a 223 Magazine.
223 magazines are readilly available for the CZ527 in Oz.
Good luck .........your quest should be pretty straightforward.

Its the Hornet, 221FB & 222 based cartridges that have a shorter magazine & a different trigger guard assy.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I'd get a CZ in .204 Ruger if it were not for the backwards safety. Would think CZ would have corrected this by now, no wait, not been foolish enough to make them to begin with.

I wish there were thousands of people that thought the CZ safety was a huge issue, then it might be an issue, but you and that other guy hardly make this worth mentioning every chance you and that other guy get.....Stone something or other

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive heard more than a few voice the same concern fasteel. Maybe you like your clutch on the right?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .223 mag should fit fine.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I should have taken one of my 223 mags in to test and every time I get there, I realise I've forgotten again - next week ....

As for the safety, I'm absolutely happy with it the way it is.

All my rifles except one work that way OR use the Mauser flag safety.

Just thinking of it, what could be more instinctive for a SA shooter than to "cock" the hammer before firing? (in case anyone doesn't get the comparison - pull hammer to the rear - pull safety to the rear)

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Just to lay this to rest, a 223 mag is the same length as the 204 one.

It's a nice rifle. Brought in second hand with the barrel destroyed by neglect, but the action and stock perfect (almost).

The LGS offered to buy it for spares, and scrapped the barrel. The gunsmith's apprentice then begged for the experience of rebarreling it, because they had an old unwanted SAKO 223 barrel in the shop, so he did the work under the gunsmith's eye and they went and fired it, getting .75" groups at 100m.

And then they sold it to me for not very much.

--