New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare Parts rifle!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being a junk man at heart, I am always pickin' through other folks used items. Can't help it.
I picked up this action about 10 years ago. Never done any thing with it. The price was right and ya never can tell!

Sako S491 action

A couple years later a fellow had a used Richards Microfit thumbhole stock for sale. Turns out it just happened to be glass bedded for a Sako S491 action. Couldn't resist.

Fast forward to earlier this year. I got the hankerin' for a small caliber chambering with a fast twist barrel. Turns out a friend had a 1 in 8" twist Shilen Select Match stainless barrel layin' around his shop. Even had a 223 AI reamer and a Vais brake
Well, a few dollars traded hands, I pulled out an old scope I'd basically gotten free from another deal and tossed them into a feed barrel and rolled it down a hill at the lease. When I pulled the lid, dang if a Spare Parts Rifle didn't pop out.

Sako S491 action, Richards laminate thumbhole stock. Twenty-six inch Shilen Select Match Barrel, Vais Brake, chambered for 223 AI, Burris 8 x 32 Signature Scope.

Hadn't wrung it out yet but here are a few groups.

Figure I may just see whether I can make an impression on a couple hogs and a whitetail or so later this fall. Sixty grain partition or even a 70 gr. TSX might just shine. Only problem, is finding used bullets in good condition. I may have to break down an go with some new ones.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GW: Just think how good your groups might have been if that bottle cap hadn't been from the last St. Arnold's in the six-pack! I'll bet if you shoot that little jewel when you're not seeing two of the target your groups will shrink right down!

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GW: Just think how good your groups might have been if that bottle cap hadn't been from the last St. Arnold's in the six-pack! I'll bet if you shoot that little jewel when you're not seeing two of the target your groups will shrink right down!

On the other hand, you could consider the St.Arnold's to be group tightners and it looks like a seventh one would be in order.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Very nice rig. I wish we could still buy SAKO actions in the white, like that.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote