Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage - Barnes TTSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Has anyone here loaded and hunted with 100 gr. Barnes Tipped-TSX in 250 Savage. I'm looking at ordering some custom ammo from Hendershots for my Ruger M77 Carbine.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My concern would be whether the bullet is too long to stabilize given the length and twist of the rifle. You might run the details through the Berger Twist Rate Stability Calculator and see what it shows.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with it exclusively in my 257 Rbts. 3,050 fps is literal murder on deer and hogs. Nothing spectacular though.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 1x10 twist it will work, and unless your shooting a Sav. 99 it probably does have a 1x10...early 99s have a 1x14 so some can't handle long bullets, but some can for that matter, just depends on the harmonics of the barrel..Im 99% sure the Rugers all have 1x10 twists in the 250s.

In the 25s, the 250, 257, and the great 25-06 really shine..The 100 gr. monolitic is a bolt gun proposition as a rule as you have to seat it too deep in the 99 and other clip models and velocity suffers badly as the bullet takes up that space..But in a monolithic the 75 to 85 gr. monolithics are every bit as deadly and penetrate more than needed...

The 85 gr. monolithic is deadly on deer and antelope, with a majority of instant kills, and is a favorite of mine..

My 99 dotes on the 90 gr. gameking Sierra Hollow point on deer, it slams them to the dirt..but the 250s been doing that with all manner of bullets for many many years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote