THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Money burning a hole in my pocket - or tribute to my Dad

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money burning a hole in my pocket - or tribute to my Dad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
Hi all

It's a bit complicated. Me and my Old Man had a weakness for the prodicts turned out by CZ (and their predecessors).

Since the old man has chosen to predecease me (hopefully by many years), I wish to buy a rifle to sort of commemorate him - something that says "oh yeah, I bought this when Dad died".

I'm looking at a CZ product ....

.17 Hornet American (my favourite)
.223 Rem Carbine
.223 Varminter w/ laminated stock ....

And what scope?

I have a Meopta 3-9x42 here, and a Lynx 2.5-10x32 (I'm tending to that).

This is your opportunity to gratuitously spend my money Smiler

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
What I want or recommend shouldn't matter.. What do you thing your Pop would have liked to play with?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger .204. In air rifles to me the 20 cal is the best of both between the 17's and 22's. Who knows, your dad might have agreed. Scope--LEUPOLD. Don't believe that ask Saeed.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I and several of my shooting friends have .221 Fireballs and the round has become a favorite of all of us. The only "factory" rifle among them is a CZ 527. It's owner is quite pleased with it.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 American in .223 and it shoots a whole lot better than it "should" with a light barrel. I've toyed with the idea of one in .17 Hornet or .221 Fireball. My son took his javelina with the .223 and a 55 gr Hornady.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were my money and I just had to spend it to remember my Dad. JMHO mind you but I would pick something from his time and his liking - not so much mine.
Just for instance (I'm 75) my favorite calibres are 6mm & .300 Weatherby Magnum, Mauser actioned rifles preferring the 22H Brno, Fn Supreme etc. although I must confess a weakness for the #1 Ruger.
?what did HE like the most?? --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd commemorate him with the .223 Varminter. I love the .223, even though I have only a Stevens 200 chambered for it. And I love CZ, even though I have only a 452 Silhouette in .22 LR.

Both are very, very accurate, and if I were in your place, I'd take the cartridge I love and mate it with the manufacturer I love.

I might opt for a different scope, though. For a .223, I'd probably go for a Nikon Monarch 6-18. I have a couple of those with mil-dot reticles and side focus, and they are the cat's pajamas . . . at least to me.

But you need to make your own decision. What lights your bulbs? What will you use it for? What range will you be shooting at? How will you use it (much walking or mostly sitting)? Are you a reloader (I am . . . and .223 brass is abundant)?

But go with what you love, what grabs you.

Hmmm . . . now that I think about it, I may have to commemorate him myself! Smiler

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I'd get a CZ in one of his pet calibers. If that hole is already filled (which it likely is), I'd go with a cartridge you don't have, but maybe you and your old man had talked about.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

The .17 Hornet has arrived in CZ American (or as they call it here - Classic).

The stock is beautiful, it has rings in the box, manuals, and a CD full of info.

In the meantime, I bought (off Fealbay) a Tasco varminting scope - 6-24x40.

I have used Tasco scopes before , especially the Japanese versions. This one is Chinese, but the optics aren't bad at all. It is huge, though, so I sppose the Lynx may be useful sometime ....

The old man's favourite calibre is a bit difficult ... he was a fan of the .30-06, but he hunted so much with my brother and that same .30-06 that when my brother died, he developed an aversion to the rifle and the calibre - as he said - every time he opened the safe, it sort of LEERED at him.

When he died he had a Musgrave built on a VZ action in 7x64 .....

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
And here's a classic BRNO Model 21:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=467705484

I just passed through the Cabela's in Wheeling WV. They have an identical for about the same price on the used rack. Same condition as well. you could do a layaway with them, if need be. The one in Bieb's link has a little prettier wood, though.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Wrong shroud or non-orig bolt, moded bolt handle.

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote