New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 22 Hi-Power Data?
 Login/Join

<WSJ>
posted
Any info sources out there on this cartridge? Anyone have any experience loading for it? Rifle is an M-99. Thanks. -WSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a reloading manual with me at the time, but all I can tell you is that Hornady makes 70-gr. SP bullets of .227" for the Hi-Power. Standard .224" bullets are too small. I don't know of anyone else who makes .227/.228 bullets for the Savage anymore.

<333-OKH>
posted
Data available in Ackley's Handbook, Volume 1, page 287, and Lyman's Handbook 44th Edition, page 30. You will have to look in the old reloading books and I wish you luck. There's precious little info. available for this cartridge anymore. As I'm rather fond of the .333 I can appreciate the lack of current reloading data.

<Hubie>
posted
The Third Edition of the Hornady reloading manual lists loads developed for their 70gr .227 bullet. Don't know if it's listed in the later manuals.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
WSJ -
I think Norma still provides loaded ammo for this one.
Good Luck,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sellier&Belliot load it and it is readily available. Prices vary from $11-20 per box.
Ken Waters "Pet Loads" latest edition has an article "Loading the Old Ones" that is excellent. I have 2 Savage 99's and shot them regularly until 5 yrs ago. As I remember 3031 gave the best results. The Sierra 64gr smp .224 gives excellent performance in both my rifles. One of them does not like the Hornaday .227 70gr at all. The Sierra shoots into an inch at 100yds at about 2800fps.
The S&B ammo is very dirty but accurate- I could never afford the Norma.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi
Data for reloding this caliber is available from Norma www.norma.cc and this caliber is popular in scandinavia. I beleive RWS is loadind this caliber too.
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote