THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best factory 22 Hornet loads.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best factory 22 Hornet loads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I tried the Winchester 46 grain JHP and Remington 45 grain PSP's. What is your favorite factory load? Thanks. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prvi Partizan shot very well in an old Savage 23 I had.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
The most accurate factory loads I have shot are the RWS match, 46gr, that came in the blue and silver box.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have shot a couple of 50 rd boxes of Prvi Hornet ammo in my Martini Cadet action rifle. Accuracy was so-so with it. My Lil Gun powder reloads with the shot prvi brass was much better.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12grlilgun and 40 gr vmax or sierra blitz

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My BRNO likes the Winchesters best. Shoots 5 shots into 1.25" at 100 yards. Remingtons not so hot, Kinda wild at 3-4".

Posts: 5103 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
The best factory ammo I have used is the Winchester 46 OPE. But that said, 13 grains of Lil Gun and 35 grain V-Max Bullets are so much more accurate.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of 50 Winchester white box (I think they were white box, but definitely Winchester), and out of the 50, I found 12 with case problems (unfired) - cracks and crevices in the brass where it necks down from the main body - and the taper is not abrupt or anything.

The shop I got them from opened another box and we went through it, finding some problems there as well, but they got me 50 that were OK, and kept the damaged box to shout at the Winchester rep with.

So, I can'r recommend Winchester, or at least not the white box.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll check over the Winchesters (white box.
Jerry: Is the term 'open point expanding'
an older designation for JHP?

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Thanks. I'll check over the Winchesters (white box.
Jerry: Is the term 'open point expanding'
an older designation for JHP?

No it refers to a hollow point bullet.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Mine are the gray box-Varmint & Predator. Cases look nice.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a hornet for some years but the most accurate factory rounds were from RWS. Followed by Winchester.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. Got some RWS TMS's on the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hornady load a factory 35gr vmax load that was darn near a one holer in my CZ hornet rifle

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the factory Hornady 35gr vmax load. Only downside is the flash holes are too small for any decapping pins that I have if I wanted to reload them. The RWS match loads were a bit average in my rifle but have given me some great brass for reloading.

Posts: 21 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was using Privi with decent, but not spectacular results. Recently, tried the Hornady 35 gr vmax and the groups are dramatically better. At some point, will plan on using the Privi brass to reload with the 35gr bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Anschutz 22 Hornet with an unusually slow twist. The lighter the bullet the better for my application. I found some 30gr lead free JHP that are just fantastic. I think they are Federal mfg.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Contender that shot the Winchester Super-X into tiny holes, and exploded crows. I could not beat it with handloads, so I shot what it liked.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I should check the twist on this BRNO ZKW-465. Seems like most folks shoot 45-46 grainers in this model. It would be interesting to compare rates with other models especially those who like the lighter bullets. Thanks. Good stuff here.
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I have an Anschutz 22 Hornet with an unusually slow twist.
Andy B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 35 grain factory loads are nearly as accurate as my best reloads. As mentioned in a earlier post, the flash holes are small as I recently discovered. In the next few days I'll thin the decapping pin. The small flash hole was stealing the decapping pin out of each of my Lee collet dies.

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Might have try the Hornady 35 grain Vmax. The RWS 46 soft points shot just a hair better than the Winchesters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I receive good accuracy from both Winchester & Remington ammunition, in my Hornet rifles. BUT, I like my hand loaded ammo better. Wink

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RWS loads are far and away the best.

And their brass is superb too for the Hornet.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Yep RWS, they even worked best in my Ruger 77/22 K-Hornet. Factory barrel but with RWS factory loads it would sing.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bren7X64:
I bought a box of 50 Winchester white box (I think they were white box, but definitely Winchester), and out of the 50, I found 12 with case problems (unfired) - cracks and crevices in the brass where it necks down from the main body - and the taper is not abrupt or anything.

The shop I got them from opened another box and we went through it, finding some problems there as well, but they got me 50 that were OK, and kept the damaged box to shout at the Winchester rep with.

So, I can'r recommend Winchester, or at least not the white box.[/QUOTE

Years ago, The Winchester White boxes were US Military surplus, I don't know about now

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Where do you find your RWS .22 Hornet ammo? I would like to try it, but have never seen it?
Thanks!
Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the secret to .22 Hornet accuracy is uniform cases. European cases are far more uniform than American ones, for the simple reason that in Europe, specifically in Germany, .22 Hornets are shot in competition. which is not the case here. I find RWS brass highly uniform, and I suspect Privi is also, although I have never tried it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I should check the twist on this BRNO ZKW-465. Seems like most folks shoot 45-46 grainers in this model. It would be interesting to compare rates with other models especially those who like the lighter bullets. Thanks. Good stuff here.
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I have an Anschutz 22 Hornet with an unusually slow twist.
Andy B

1-16 if anyone wants to know.

For the love of all that is good I can't figure out why they used such a slow twist. It stabilizes almost nothing. If I can find some RWS loaded ammo I'll give it a try, but I am not holding my breath for the accuracy. Very disappointing considering it is an Anschutz!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Anschutz .22 hornet model 1730D KL, it has a 15.7 twist according to the Anschutz website.

I got 1 inch groups at 100 yards with Remington 45 gr and Winchester 46 gr, Rws 45 gr did not shoot as well.

After trying many types of factory ammo, Remington Accutip 35gr shot the best at .4 inch groups at 100 yards, the Hornady 35gr came in second at .7 inch groups. Privi or PPU ammo were reasonable also but velocity is low at 2400 fps.

Eventhough the Remington Acccutip was the most accurate in my rifle, approximately 8 cases out of every box of 50 had split case necks after firing !

The Hornet is severely affected by the slightest wind once ranges go beyond 140 - 150 yards,
in calm conditions it can be extended out to 200 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect its very likely one will be more than grateful to buy whatever hornets he can get his hands on..I would stock up big time on what shot best in my rifle if I had one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote