Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Mini action 223s $311ea
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted
Cabelas had them on sale with the 22" Heavier barrel with a 10 round mag for $349 with an extra 10% for a net of $311 so I bought 3. From what I read they're light @ 6#s & accurate. They only problem was a bad match of mags that they have/will correct if you get a bad one. Just thought I'd post in case anyone was looking for one as that's close to 1/2 of the usual cost. Anyone have on that would care to comment?

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have one of the green longer barreled. Great trigger. Shoots about everything sub MOA. I love it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
These are the longer barrel black stock, wish it was green or I could put it in a Boyds.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
too bad its just the .223. I've been eyeing up that 6.5 grendel.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
They are here in 6.5 Grendel

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/6535022

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one.

What is the problem with the magazine?

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have the one you bought yet? What's your opinion of the magazine?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just shot it for the first time yesterday. The magazine seemed okay except one time it dropped out unexpectedly. Since I'm new with the rifle I don't know if that was my fault or not.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magazine is ok if you don't mind the ugly wart right where you would normally carry the rifle. The magazine release is unacceptable, it is too long and is easy to drop the mag out unexpectedly. I trimmed mine back to around a 1/4 inch past the pivot and generally cured the mag drop issue. Mine also had a bad crown when I bought it new from Whittakers but after fixing this it will put 3 75 gr. Hornady BTHP's just into an inch. Mine is the lightweight 20 inch barreled version, green stock. I like it and it is now my rough duty truck gun. I would really like to get one in 6.8 SPC.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 & they cycle fine so the mags seem fine but I've read they'll send new ones. I really like them especially for the price. % round mags are available also.

Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
Darnit guys.... I don't need one, but for the price I bought one.

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the consensus is the mag release at the front is an issue. It's too easy to bump it and drop the mag in the dirt. The release should be at the rear and have a stiffer spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone would offer an aftermarket magazine (I'd prefer a 5-rd) with an extended bump on the front to partially shield the release that would be ideal.

I may look at gluing or taping such a bump to the front of mine.

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NRC:
Darnit guys.... I don't need one, but for the price I bought one.

Glad to help you spend your $$$ tu2

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
They are here in 6.5 Grendel

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/6535022

My 6.5 Grendel will be in tomorrow, I buy from Whittakers but hadn't seen it, Thanks homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just fitted mine with a Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO Target scope. Gander Mountain has them at a good price right now. I used Warne mounts and rings - it fits in the low rings. It just seems like a very appropriate scope for this little rifle.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I picked one up and used a few of my Cabella Bucks, putting me into the rifle for $240. Added a used Leupold FX-II 6x36mm Long Range Dot scope in Vortex rings and Weaver bases. Not bad for under $600. So for it shoots the standard Federal AE 50gr HP's ringh at 1.2" @ 100 yards for ten shots.

Not a Blaser, but a good rifle for a gift...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote