THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Anybody know anything about the 6mm on 22-250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know anything about the 6mm on 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
It's my understanding that this wildcat , using the Sierra 107 grain matchking, out of a fast twist barrel is fast becoming the accuracy king for the long range portion of the national matches in the AR-10.
Once I save my nickles and get the new Rhodos, azaleas, dogwoods, roses planted here at the new place I'll be thinking about this rifle/cartridge combo.
While I'm about it.......There's another 6mm cartridge that seems interesting for the same purpose. Using a 243 Win. case with the shoulder pushed back a bit to accomodate the long 107 grain Sierra, getting getting the powder capicity reduced.
I'm not real clear on the need to reduce the powder capicity, other then to alter the case to more in line with the 22 PPC and 6mm PPC for more efficient burn.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Jim, I think it is more a quest to reduce recoil, to avoid shooters fatigue. Anyway, the 6mm International has several versions, one of which is described in the Sierra Manual.

Don't forget that the 250 case really is the 308 shortened, just like the BR case is the 308 case shortened even further. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
6-250 has been around along time and enjoyed some success in varminting and BR. Great round, but kinda obsolete with the advent of the 243 Win/6 BR etc.

BTW, the 250 case was invented in 1915 and the 308 case didn't come about until 1952. Grand ol' case, but in no way related to the 308 family.

FWIW,

Jim

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Jim, au contraire! The 308 is a derivative from the '06, which is a derivative of the 7x57, which is a derivative of the 8x57. Pedigree for the .473 bolt head goes back to the 1890's. Stretch it or shrink it, it's still a derivative of the Mauser...... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Dutch is right! Charlie Newton designed the .250 Savage by setting back the shoulder of the .30/.06 round, necking it to shoot .257" bullets, and trimming the neck. The later .300 Savage was designed the same way, starting with the basic '06 case, and then the gov't created the 7.62 NATO by leaving the .300 Savage case a little longer, and changing the shoulder angle, essentially cutting the 0.5" of airspace off of the '06. (The unused case capacity of the '06 which resulted from the gov'ts' chronic underloading of the '06 to get only 2800 FPS from a 150-grain bullet).

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-250 has the advantage of a longer barrel life compared to the 243, which is important to highpower shooters who will put thousands of rounds thru a barrel per year. Personally I am considering it to use in my switchbarrel 308 project.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm curious how the 22-250 case can reduce barrel erosion compared to the 243 Win?
There was another case mentioned in one article, basically the 243 with the shoulder pushed back a bit. Would this case, the pushed back shoulder 243, have the same effect as reducing barrel erosine?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
It's my understanding that this wildcat , using the Sierra 107 grain matchking, out of a fast twist barrel is fast becoming the accuracy king for the long range portion of the national matches in the AR-10.

I think you are referring to the 6mmXC, developed by David Tubb, and available in the Tubb2000 rifle. You can find lots of information on Tubb's products at Zediker Publishing, as well as specific information on the 6mmXC and dies.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
I'm curious how the 22-250 case can reduce barrel erosion compared to the 243 Win?

I was speaking of the 6-250, the 22-250 is known as bit of a barrel burner. The 6mmXC that InfoSponge mentioned can be seen as a shortened and improved 243, or a elongated and improved 6-250

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote