New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 G&A Special
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tom Siatos of Gun&Ammo developed this round, a 404 Jeffrey necked up to 45 caliber, without the case head turned down and rebated. Apparently, he published some data in G&A magazine. Anyone know which issue(s)? Anyone load for it?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry-It was in the 80's G&A did it I think.
Don't have the mags(lost them in a fire) from
those years anymore.The load data for the 450
Vincent Long in the load site here would be the same,So would 450 Dakota load info.They were the first to do wildcatting on the 404 Jeffrey, that
got publicised.I do remember in the article that
they had found a whole barrel of 404 brass and
needed to do something famous with it, to use it up.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Infomermmercial: the 450 Dakota is 416 rigby case not 404 jeffery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry, The Santos article was republished in the "500" G & A issue last year. Can't remember what month but I will see if I can find it.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404-Yes, you are correct.I wouldn't want anyone
starting with wrong load data.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
Infomermmercial: the 450 Dakota is 416 rigby case not 404 jeffery.

No the 450 Dakota is not based on the 416 Rigby. The rim and base diameters of the 450 Dakota are slightly smaller (about .010") then the 416 Rigby, which should be enough to create a problem to interchange them. The 450 Dakota is similar to the 450 Rigby (based on 416 Rigby) but they are not the same. Have fun.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
The 460 G&A article was published in the Nov. 2001 issue of Guns and Ammo.They listed two max loads as follows:

95.5 grains of 4831 produced 1 inch group at 50 yds (5 shots). (500 grain bullet?)

87 grains of 4064 under 1 inch at 50 yds (5 shots) with 500 grain bullets.

Hope that helps.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry C 470,

Like other members here I have a copy of the Guns and Ammo Nov 2001 issue. If you can't find your copy, let me know and I shall scan and e-mail you the article.

Good shooting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
mehul,
My name isn't Henry but if you would scan it and e-mail it to me. I am setting here with a P17 Enfield just waiting to get turned into a big bore. I want one of the .458's built on the 404 Jeffrey case.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,

I'll scan and send you the article either tonight or latest tomorrow in the morning.

In return, you must promise to post pictures of your rifle on AR when it's completed. [Smile]

Good shooting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Henry C 470,

Like other members here I have a copy of the Guns and Ammo Nov 2001 issue. If you can't find your copy, let me know and I shall scan and e-mail you the article.

Good shooting!

Mehul,

That would be great. I'd really like to read that article. And I will send you a picture of a lefthanded M-1999 when the project is complete (realize that the receiver will be cast mid-2003).

Thanks a lot.

H. C.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

I would like to get a copy as well. In return I can promise a photo of the pair of .458 Lotts I am building on the M99 action.

The RH rifle is in work now, and the LH action is "viewgraph engineering" so far. [Wink]

thanks...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe, HenryC470 and Hunter Jim,

The article has just been e-mailed to you from my hotmail account. Please let me know if everything is OK or I'll re-send it.

I am going to look forward to seeing pictures of your completed guns on AR - thanks in advance. [Smile]

Good shooting!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

The three emails made it OK, and I just printed the pages to read the article. It was interesting, and thank you for sending it along.

"Jacques P. Lott" made an interesting comment on the .425 Westley Richards "It is an unsafe cartridge, as is any cartridge for dangerous game having a rebated rim or rim substantially smaller in diameter than the case body. This causes rounds not exactly lined up in the magazine to be missed by the bolt face as it moves forward, running a groove down the side of the case and causing a dangerous, perhaps fatal delay."

Hmmm, sounds like the Remington Ultra Mag case. Or perhaps push feed actions like the Remington are immune from this fault?...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter Jim,

I am not very familiar with the more modern rifle tech from a first hand viewpoint since I was born long after the glorious days of Indian hunting but it is sad, isn't it when the advice of experienced people like Jacques Lott etc is ignored by big companies probably because of the "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

I shall wait to see your completed rifle on AR.

Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

Thank you very much. I received your email (twice) and figured out how to correctly open and save email attachments on the second pass.

Best Regards, and keep watching for the rifle pictures. I understand Montana is getting started soon on those LH Long actions.

H. C.