New
Find
Notify
Tools

33 Winchester Improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does such a beast as a 33 Win "Improved" exist?

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure.

I owned a 33 Winchester in a custom Encore rifle barrel. I was getting 2,260 fps with the 200 grain Hornady flat points.

I'm sure a could have gotten a little more speed out of the old winchester round but the brass I was using was very thin.

Accuracy was great and I loved the old cartridge. But I sold the barrel and ordered a .338-08 from Virgin Valley. VVCG went out of business so I never got the barrel. (They did give me my money back).

At one time Virgin Valley had there own line of Wildcats bases on the 45-70, it was called the .338 VVC. It was sort of a 33 Win Imp.

It would make one heck of a lever action or single shot round.

Posts: 66 | Location: georgia | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrome:
I'm not sure.

I owned a 33 Winchester in a custom Encore rifle barrel. I was getting 2,260 fps with the 200 grain Hornady flat points.

I'm sure a could have gotten a little more speed out of the old winchester round but the brass I was using was very thin.

Accuracy was great and I loved the old cartridge. But I sold the barrel and ordered a .338-08 from Virgin Valley. VVCG went out of business so I never got the barrel. (They did give me my money back).

At one time Virgin Valley had there own line of Wildcats bases on the 45-70, it was called the .338 VVC. It was sort of a 33 Win Imp.

It would make one heck of a lever action or single shot round.

tera

I would like the dimention of the casings mercie

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Ackley probably did one; try looking in his two volume set. There seems little doubt this has already been done, and were I you, I'd call RCBS to see if they have done the dies and call Clymer about the reamers. (I just tried the sites of CH-4D and JGS w/o luck.)

edited: The neck isn't terribly long on this case, so about all you can do is blow out the shoulder. Increasing the diameter from .443 to .483 will give you something over a 6 gn increase in case capacity, or about 10%. You can expect an increase in performance of about 3% for that, or about 65 fps with the 200 gn FP bullets -- hardly worth the effort, I'd say. (The .33 WCF is one of the examples in a case capacity calculator I wrote for the internet, and it is found here.)

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, yes and no,

Winchester introduced the .348 Winchester originally to get slightly better ballistics than the .33 Winchester, with the same weight of bullet, in basically the same action (the '86/'71). Matter of fact, Winchester at first was going to call it just the ".34 winchester"

.348 is made on slighly different brass (.33 Win is based on .45-70 brass), but reportedly drives the same 200 gr. weight bullet just about 200 fps faster in actual chron'd loads.

You could do worse than just following Winchester's lead.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote