Notify
Tools

input wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Hello gentlemen

on a mission to build a custom wildcat in the AR15 platform. right now I am leaning toward a 6x45. My thoughts:

I want something that would be good enough to shoot hogs and deer. I already have a 7.62x39 and a 556 / 223. This way I would just need a set of reloading dies and a few different pieces for building an upper assembly is all (still use the lower from the 556/223.) From a cost stand point, I could save a little bit of money. with the way the things are going now with the Feds, at leas there is an abundance of 556/223 brass laying around. I would think that would be easier to find that some others..

I know there is a lot of info out there regarding a 6ARC, 6.5 creedmore, a Timberwolf, a wolverine...etc. I want something bigger than a varmint cartridge, not too keen on a 350 legend or a 7mm Raptor or a TCU.

Let's please try to keep this thread on point and not get too carried away by everyone being an expert. I am not here to listen to any insults or anyone who may think they are an expert. I don't care to listen to two people who may be in a lover's quarrel....

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.8 spc would be a good canadate

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Build the one that you have brass for!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Ramrod
Long time "no see", hope the show me state is treating you right!
I've used the 25/45, 6x45 and some other cartridges in AR's on deer.
The 6x45 is a fine performer but after 3 successful one shot kills from 100 to 325 yards with the 85 grain Sierra HPBT gamekings I switched to the 25/45.
My biggest concern was at a glance you can't discern 6x45 from .223 ammo and we shoot a lot of .223 and I didn't want a mix up.
The 25/45 is discernable in my opinion.
Performance very similar, I shot 3 deer with the 25/45 from 100 to 305 yards again all one shot kills with Sierra 90 grain HPBT gamekings.
This year I will use the 350 Legend in the same test.
In years past I've shot Oklahoma Whitetails with AR's in .223, 6x45, 25/45, 7.62x39. With bolt guns in .223, 22/250, 243, 257 Roberts and 9.3x62.
A friend of mine has started using the .277 Wolverine in an AR, very impressive and a .358 Yeti will be ready this year as well, shortened .308 brass necked to .358" on an AR15, lotta thump.
Hope I helped a bit.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Hello gentlemen,

Thank you all. All are very good suggestions and are intriguing.

Buckdeer, I know that the 6.8 SPC is a mighty fine cartridge. from what I understand, it uses the same diameter bullet as a 270 Winchester, but is given the parent case of a .30 Remington correct?

I already own a 7x57 and a 280 Remington, as well as a 30-06. I am thinking this (possible 6x45) might be the next gun given to my daughter in the years to come , in case anything over a 6mm could be too much for her to handle...

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote