THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Anybody shoot a .222 Impd with a 45 deg shoulder ??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody shoot a .222 Impd with a 45 deg shoulder ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired one of these and anticipating that it is, being a .222 Rem improvement, more of a good thing.

This rifle was built as being as much performance you could get into a L46 Sako action.

Does anybody have dies sitting around doing nothing that they wish to divest themselves of???...…...scant hope I know.

What are your experiences with this little cartridge?? What have you shot with it ??? what load do you use ?? What process do you use fireforming brass ???? Are you just chambering a factory and pulling the trigger?

I have a .243 Ackley Improved so the idea of a wildcat doesn't worry me...…...once you're set up for reloading.

Let me know what your experiences are.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 222 blown out with a 35 degree shoulder was once a somewhat common bench rest cartridge here in the states. It was called the 222x35. It fell by the wayside when the PPC’s came out. A 222 with a 45 degree shoulder sounds like a truly odd duck, at least here in the states, anyway. Good luck.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Homer Culvers old 223x35 reamer. I have a 15" barrel XP-100 that I chambered for this cartridge. One of my favorite Groundhog and Prairie dog cartridges.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late Tony Barnes shot deer and elk and one moose with a 30 in an L-46, as well as a 6x45 short of some kind, both inL-461s and L-46...and he experimented with many others, one I recall was on a 30 carbine case and it gave a two round magazine capacity with some of his wildcats...He was ingenious in such matters..

I personally would not mess with a nice original L-46 in a 222 Rem, that's too close to perfection..I have one and its a keeper,rare indeed for me to actually keep any gun much longer than six months to a year..I will never part with it..My kids, grand kids and I shot a number of mule deer and whitetail,also some coues and Javalina with that little 222 and a 60 gr. Horn HP..never a hiccup..the other option might well be a .223 if you want more fPS.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote