THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    280AI cartridge specs? anybody have them?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

280AI cartridge specs? anybody have them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been forming my 280AI from 30-06 Lapua brass. I am aware that the extra length of the 270 or 280 case would leave more neck, and I am interested in how that shorter neck on the 06 case affects over-all loaded round and performance, especially with respect to seating depth, and neck tension, as well as any runout issues when sizing a shorter neck.

Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
There are a couple of things you can do to help answer your questions. #1 Call the gunsmith who chambered your rifle and ask for a copy of the specs for the reamer he used to chamber your barrel. # 2 Do a chamber cast with cerrosafe- that will give you exact dimensions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a 280 AI article using the following link I don't even remember what search engine I used to find it, but it is somewhat informative.

For some reason this didn't work, so I'll try it again below.

My 280 AI has a strange length chamber. The diameters are all "normal", but the length to shoulder is quite a bit shorter than "standard". I get my brass made up by Quality cartridge, and he now has a sample of brass that is correct for my chamber, so now there is no problem. Apparently there is some variance in the Ackley chamberings. Quality cartridge now requires either a chamber cast or fired brass before they will sell you brass for an Ackley cartridge, because they ran into this problem so much. Once you get your dies set up correctly, there is no problem.

[ 03-13-2003, 06:12: Message edited by: Ken Cline ]

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This link should get you the article

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/280AI.html

[ 03-13-2003, 06:14: Message edited by: Ken Cline ]

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ken.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote