THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Re: What Wildcat 22 or 17 will work with a ......

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What Wildcat 22 or 17 will work with a ......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm out of town more than I'm home.

My 20BR barrel is a 24" #7 contour Stainless Select Match Shilen. The magazine is a little long for the short BR cartridge, but it feeds fine. I single load most of the time anyway, so that doesn't matter too much to me.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yote,

I would not go with the 17 for a predator rifle, yes the 17 will work but a 22 is much more authoritative on game the size of yote.

One round you may be interested in is one I just purchased the reamer for for my shop and a couple customers rifle projects, one is for the exact purpose you want to use.

It is the 22-244 AI(22-6mm AI). Basically a 224 Clark with an Improved shoulder.

I rechambered one of my Ruger M77VT's in a 220 Swift for this round just to play with and develope loads with and I have been very impressed.

I have tested only one powder(RL-22) and one bullet(55 gr Sierra Blitzking) in Win 6mm cases with CCI-200's. OAL is 2.825".

The top load for this round with that powder is 56.0 gr which is absolutely the most the fireformed case will hold. This load produced just over 4200 fps with E.S. of 21 fps for 10 rounds.

The load that proved the best for my rifle was 55.0 gr of RL-22 good for 4135 fps with E.S. of 17 fps for ten rounds.

Out of the factory rifle, which I only lapped the lugs, squared the reciever face, rechambered and recrowned, this load averaged .412" for five three shot groups. The best thing about this load is that I have fired these cases three times with this load so far and the pressure is so mild, I still only have to neck size the cases and they chamber like they were unfired.

If your looking for a hot 22 that would be perfect for predator hunting at ranges out to 400-500 yards easily, this may be as good as it gets in my mind.

I have a 30" Lilja 1-8" twist 22 barrel sitting over in the shop that I have decided will be fitted to a printed M700 action and used for 1000 yard shooting with this chambering.

If you are not wedded to the 22 bore, ask Hvyw8t how the 6mm-06 that I built for him is shooting.

last I heard from him, he was getting the 55 gr Ballistic Tip up to 4400 fps with three and four shot groups in the 1's. This would be a coyote hammer with few peers.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 Cheetah II which is very similiar to the 22 Milstead except that it uses 308 competition brass with the small rifle primer. 4300 fps with the 50 gr Nosler flat base is possible. My favorite centerfire 22.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest the 22Cheetah, but Bob beat me to it so I will second it! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cheetah is a great round except for a few little problems associated with it.

The biggest of which, if you have a true Cheetah in that you are using Rem Basic BR brass with the small primer pocket, there is often a problem getting consistant ignition and powder burns with the small rifle primers used in that case.

I feel the version using the 243 is a much better case as it can use the large rifle primers.

It is a good round.

The 22-244 AI(22-6mm AI) will offer another 100 fps with same pressure loads as will the 6mm over the 243. If that is a big deal or not is up to the individual.The Load I settled on was 55.0 gr Rl-22 which produces an average of 4135 fps. This is actually a very low pressure load, in fact the 54.0 gr load does not even have enough pressure to open up the case mouth when firing, 55.0 gr does.

I have loaded the 55 gr pills up to +4300 fps with faster powders but really saw no point in it and decided the barrel would last much longer with these low pressure loads.

The 50 gr Ballistic Tips can also be loaded up to +4400 fps with the proper powder.

If the Cheetah is built correctly, the 22-244 AI is a much easier and a higher performance round then the Cheetah. This is whay I chose the 22-244 AI over teh Cheetah when getting the reamer for my shop.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the 17-22/250 AI? If nothing else, different and unusual. Bet you`d be the only guy on the truck with this! I had a bit of trouble with bullets and such but the 20 Hornadys worked really good. Standard boltface too.

Aloha, Mark

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TERA
The information which you have to give known the gauge 22 Milstead it its vagueness for me. Could you give me the base of which casing one can use to form it is the length casing to form it Thank you very much