New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help with an oddball!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently got stung at auction with an oddball wildcat cartridge that I would appreciate any info I can find. The gun was listed in the auction as a .224-6mm. I can find a bit about that cartridge online, albeit very little.
When the gun arrived, the barrel stamp said
".226 Jet". I can find absolutely nothing about this cartridge. Are they one and the same?
The gun was made on an old P-17 action (maybe a P-14?). The investment was minor, so even if I had to rechamber the gun, or sell it for the action, I am not afraid of losing anything severe.
What do I have, and what should I do with it?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy j:
I recently got stung at auction with an oddball wildcat cartridge that I would appreciate any info I can find. The gun was listed in the auction as a .224-6mm. I can find a bit about that cartridge online, albeit very little.
When the gun arrived, the barrel stamp said
".226 Jet". I can find absolutely nothing about this cartridge. Are they one and the same?
The gun was made on an old P-17 action (maybe a P-14?). The investment was minor, so even if I had to rechamber the gun, or sell it for the action, I am not afraid of losing anything severe.
What do I have, and what should I do with it?

My suggestion would be to get some Cerrosafe and do a chamber cast.

Why would anyone use such a humongous action for a short cartridge? If it were me, and the rest of the gun made it worth the investment, would be to re-barrel it in a longer cartridge to make more efficient use of the action length.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe I should have just made the topic more simple;
Does anyone have any information about .226 Jet?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The proof is in the pudding, a chamber cast is a must.
The original blurb sounds like a lot of parallel thinking going on. Some kind of necked down Mauser case 22. Maybe 257Rob donor brass or maybe 6mmRem. And body taper / shoulder angle if it's improved or not.
22-250 Improved dies backed way off should do, in a pinch. Not insurmountable to get her up and running.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I ran into this cartridge. Somewhere I ran across info relating to the 22 Savage Hi Power and other calibers using the .227/8 bullet. Could it be a 243 necked down to accept a .227/8 bullet? Sticks in my mind somehow.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is a thread about a 22-6mm wildcat:

http://forum.accurateshooter.c...eads/22-6mm.3814485/

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CHAMBER CAST!

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two biggies are Cartridges of the World, very thorough, although many wildcatters may have made it under the wire. 2nd would be Mr. Ackley's two volume set. Eabco.com used to stock them as available. I don't recall.
b). Mr. Ackley wrote of a time when experimenters were hot on super fast .22's. To help the jacket hold the rifling slightly larger diameters were used. .226 and .228. I believe he wrote Fred Barnes had a .22 with fast twist, he said he had seen it break both shoulders of an elk.
c). The quick and dirty chamber cast can be done with sulphur. Garden supply stores usually have it bulk and cheap for adjusting garden PH. Melt carefully. Pour into a plugged barrel. Let harden a minute or two. Push out carefully. Machinist will be very familar with size. A few fired cases of various sizes and eyeball should move you in right direction. Mr. Ackley wrote of the .244 H&H Magnum. He said barrel life was around 250 rounds. Some guns were shot out before an accurate load was found. LUCK. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
c). The quick and dirty chamber cast can be done with sulphur. Garden supply stores usually have it bulk and cheap for adjusting garden PH. Melt carefully. Pour into a plugged barrel. Let harden a minute or two. Push out carefully. Machinist will be very familar with size.

Easy Sulphur Casting

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ackley's book mentions the Remington 22 Jet, The 22Improved cartridge, and the 224 Durham Jet.
A chamber cast is necessary.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Cerrosafe. I melt it in a ladle partially submerged in boiling water.

Hard to screw up and if you do just immerse the action in a pot of boiling water to melt the casting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByaASz_HNk