Find
Notify
Tools

Hand pumping a PCP?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Anyone with experience using a hand pump to top off a PCP? Perhaps from 1500 PSI to 3000? Does it get hard to pump before you even get to 600 on the pump gauge? TIA

posted Hide Post
Mine does not get difficult until I get past 2000 psi.

Your pump may need a rebuild.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My AirForce pump requires a downward push of 200 pounds (measured on a bathroom scale) to achieve 3,000 psi in order to top off a Benjamin Marauder pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 12 year old can only get to about 1000 and that is tough for him. I have to put all my weight (170) on mine from about 2500 and up. I use the benjamin pump when hand pumping.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
save your energy- buy a $100 used scuba tank if there is a dive shop near you. pumps are a joke unless you shoot very little and you gun only needs a 2000psi refill. all my PCP's fill to 3200-3600psi. doable with a hand pump- if you want to rebuild the seals every few hours and take a half hour to fill each gun. i much prefer my Bauer 4500psi compressor. it fills my bank of 300 bar SCBA firemen's bottles in a matter of minutes.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Don't have the money for the carbon fiber tank much less the compressor. Would be nice though.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
a used 80 cubic ft 3000psi aluminum scuba tank can be found on Craig's list or a local dive shop for about $100. as long as the hydro is current, most dive shops will refill to 10% over- 3300psi- for under $10. a Benjamin Marauder or Discovery can be refilled at least 15-20 times before the tank pressure drops below 2000psi and needs refilling. this amounts to at least 400-500 shot. the reason i went to 4500psi CF bottles and my own compressor is because all of my PCP's require a 3500 psi fill and i am a high volume shooter. a decent hand pump( Hill, Axxor) costs over $300 and still takes a lot of time/effort.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I bought a nice Hill pump when I had my Marauder, but I must say the workout was a bit more than I wanted on a regular basis. Then again, I bought the outfit just after having had a couple of lumber fusions, so my results were skewed. Marauder is a great platform.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an FX 4 stage pump and regularly pump to 200Bar, and it's not at all much problem. I can usually get 50Bar for 50 strokes of the pump, give or take and when you switch the pump into 4 stage mode, it gets a bit easier to pump and higher pressures. People make a lot out of the work it takes. It actually takes me about 5-8 minutes to pump my Walther cylinder from 100Bar to 200Bar. That's going too fast and can cause the pump to overheat. So, if you do 3 or 4 minutes, then rest and do 3 or 4 more minutes, you're there and no sweat or overheating the cylinder or pump.
A scuba or scba tank is a nice way to go, but getting them filled is a hassle unless a dive shop is close by. With a pump, you've got hpa any time you want it.

Bob