New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Benjamin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So my boy has out grown his Red Rider BB gun, I'm thinking a pellet rifle for Christmas.

A Benjamin 397, .177, the classic Benjamin pellet rifle.

.177 because I have an RWS in .177
Or should I get him a .22 ?

Any thoughts on the new Benjamins ? Are they as good as they were 40 years ago ?

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, just my suggestion :

Get him a .20 or .22 cal, which will allow him to use it for all Small Game Hunting (CA DFG Reg).

I.E:" 311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game
(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) above. "

You might also consider to upgrade (Mac1; Gardena, CA), for few dollars more. It will last him a lifetime, and possibly get passed onto his son !!

http://www.mac1airgun.com/

Steriod Airguns : Benjamin/ Sheridan
http://www.mac1airgun.com/steriodags.html

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both an old Benjamin .22 and an old Sheridan .20 cal and I like the Sheridan much better. Both the rifle itself and the .20 cal. Both are old enough when they were not made by the same company, which they are now. With my old Sheridan at 4 pumps and above I don't see the pellet. One guy reported with his newer one he can still see the pellet at 8 pumps??????? I also have a newer RWS .17 cal and I like the .177 better than my older .22. So I'd second PAPI's get him a .20. The only drawback to the .20 is that the pellets are not as readily available and cost a little more (can be a pretty big deal for a kid's shooting appetite-- I know as a kid I went through the bb's). So my vote would be a Sheridan Blue Streak (.20 cal) and get the receiver (peep) sight. The older Streaks had to be drilled and tapped for the peep, but new ones come drilled and tapped. Williams makes a sight that is ready to go. My old Streak is my go to air gun. My Leupold scoped RWS doesn't get nearly as much action.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At www.bryanandac.com one can purchase repair kits for old Benjamin and Sheridan pelet rifles. My old Benjamin 22 Cal Mdl 312 was made some time between 1935 and mid 40s which I repaired last year. I now am working a 40 year old Sheridan Blue Streak 5MM with the compression chamber parts comeing from Bryan&Associates. Those old pump up air guns shoot like new one after giving them a tune up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a real old sheridan .20 cal but it grew legs and walked off some time ago. Got a new sheridan .20 cal bout 10 years ago, they are a nice air rifle. Kilt a Crat at a good 50 yards once with it.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the record .. Had one myself (Sheridan .20 cal), but it was stolen(30 yrs ago)from my uncles garage Frowner

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I just ordered the boy a .22 Benjamin 392.

I found one he could hold and shoulder, and ask him how he liked the size and weight. He got a big smile on his face and said it was perfect.

There is an abandoned orchard near our house. It's too close to town to shoot .22s, and full of ground squirrels that never get shot at, so they'r brave/stupid. I have a feeling they are going to get an education this spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of scope and power could you mount on the new 22 Cal Benjamin ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Benjamin requires a special scope mount.
After that I guess you could mount anything you want. For practical reasons, I can't see anything over 6X.
I'll use the factory open sites, maybe put a Williams peep on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonight is the night.
The new .22 Benjamin is wrapped up and hidden.

He has no idea, it's been raining for a month, and he has forgotten about shooting BB guns.

He should be surprised and love it. If he doesn't love it, I'll keep it for myself. The idea of a new gun in the house that I haven't shot yet is driving me crazy, I want to get out and terrorize some vermin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a pistol scope on my Sheridan. With the long eye relief was able to mount it way forward which would probably be the most convenient location. It was still clumsy in my opinion. To me pump ups are not for scopes. Put the Williams peep on it. With my peep sighted Sheridan I hit about same percentage of sparrows as I do with my scope sighted RWS. Hope the boy enjoys it--give us a report.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very happy boy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Christmas he will never forget. Cool

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took the boy (Erik) out shooting, and he had a blast.
I was amazed at the power of this gun.
I don’t have a lot of air rifle experience, but this thing really penetrates.
The field near my house is used as an illegal dump, and we found a new, un-opened 1 lb can of cranberrie sauce. A tin can. With three pumps, it was pushing a 14 grain Crossman domed pellets all the way through.
We hit it dozen times at 30 to 40 feet, and they all exited. If it will go through both sides of a full tin can, I think it will go through a squirrel or a rabbit.
Maybe I need to get some hollow points ?