Notify
Tools

13 grain 177 caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Anyone tried these?

Called Big Boys. Bought some at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Very accurate at ten yards in my garage. Shot low and left from ten grain I was using.

Will try them on roosters this week.

I have shot outside just once, but they sound quite a bit quieter than the 8 and 10 grain pellets I have been using.

Must have alot lower MV and maybe that is bringing concussion of muzzle blast down.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
MUCH lower muzzle velocity and a mortar-like trajectory beyond 30-40 yards- but more energy up close and personal. in a magnum springer or PCP, should be good for "close" shooting.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I use an RWS 34 Dianna (with black synthetic stock and factory iron sites).

The ten grain has a short enough time of flight that I can hit a rooster on a fast run at 30 yards, which is farthest I need to shoot ever.

With the 8 gr. target and 10 grain pellets, I have same elevation at ten yards as at thirty yards. But 8 grain is high and left of ten grain zero.

Have not tried these at "long" range yet.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type roosters? Pheasants? If so is it legal there?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Carpetman,

Just ferral chickens. I spend about 6 months a year in hawaii, island of kauai, where they run free range.

They are considered good luck here by most folks and they do a good job keeping the bugs and centipedes out of your yard. So I dont persecute them unless they start scratching up and eating the little grass seed chutes when I reseed the yard.

They do tear up a pretty good area going after those chutes.

Roosters are 4=5 pounds, hens about 3 pounds. HArd to kill a rooster w a body shot w a 177, that is why I am experimenting w the heavier pellets.

The 13 grain is sensative to wind alot more than the 8-10 grain I have been using. Poor time of flight I recon.

I will let you know how they work out.

PS it is legal in city limits and county to use an air rifle responsibly. Id prefer a 22 but its just too much gun for my neighborhood.

Most folks use a have a heart trap (live trap). Then feed them to their hogs!

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy--sorry I think we discussed the roosters in Hawaii before--your Oregon location threw me off.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
Just ferral chickens. ...Most folks use a have a heart trap (live trap). Then feed them to their hogs!
Hey Andy, Is there a problem with "humans" eating them? bewildered

Remove the outside and inside, wash, flour, toss the good parts in a frying pan with hot oil = Yum Yum!!! dancing

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little Johnny was asked what is his favorite animal? Fried chicken he answered. Teacher being a big PETA activist sent him to principals office. Principal laughed and sent him back to class with instructions not to give that answer again. He again was asked what is his favorite animal? Chicken he answered. Why? Well because they can be fried. Back to the office. Later that afternoon another question was asked. What famous person would you like to meet? Little Johnny answered Col Sanders and the teacher resigned.

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
The roosters are awfully tough. Hard as a Korean karate instructor. Harder maybe.

Got two roosters w the 13 grain but did not really learn anything. The range was almost point blank and shooting down on them so hit the spine or near it.

Penetration was 3 inches on one and 3-5 on the other. Three inches is typical with 10 grain Kodiaks, so there may be an advantage to heavier pellets but too early to say.

They are extremely accurate in my RWS. Clover leafs w no effort at ten yards. But they shoot about 3/4 inch low point of aim. Cant get anymore elevation out of my std metallic sights.

Recovered three pellets. All three were mangled despite being a conical point. One turned over and expanded a bit from base.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
The roosters are awfully tough. Hard as a Korean karate instructor. Harder maybe. ...
That does sound like Tough Meat. I found out many MANY years ago the beautiful Red Clover Enriched Meat of Ground Hogs can be as tough as Shoe Leather " IF " they are not Parboiled, or tossed in a Crock Pot - prior to - going on the Grill.

Not trying to get you to ruin your teeth Big Grin, but those Methods tenderize pretty well if you decide to try any of them.

Sounds like the Pellets are working well up-close. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Here is a collection of 10 grain kodiak (domed) and 13 grain Big Boy (conical) pellets recovered from 3-5 pound roosters on Kauai.

They expand at close range and are recovered. They shoot through at longer range and are not. Esp the ten grain.

Randy Brooks, at Barnes will be surprised to learn that penetration is inversely proportional to knock down power. Less penetration equals more dead chicken.

Go figure. dancing

PS Link did not work but there are ten pellets shown in photo.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy, Did you ever try the GAMO Rockets? They average 9.2gr and have an imbedded Steel Ball in the Tip. They provided outstanding penetration when compared to regular Pellets for a buddy of mine. And they are very close to being as accurate as the Crosman Premier HPs(7.9gr) in our rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, someone that did a lot of bullet casting came up with the idea of a mold that would cast a heavy .177 pellet. This pellet was going to carry further and hit with the hammer of Thor.( I was afraid cape buffalo would be endangered). The weight was around 25 grains. I was asked my opinion when it was in the planning stages. I said because I shoot in my backyard that would be counter to what I wanted--the travelling further. I would like a parachute that opened as soon as it got to my property line. Someone sent me one of the molds. The bullets keyholed. Then someone said if you shoot them backwards they were accurate. I tried that and they were not accurate and penetration was dismal. They would not imbed in soft wood but would bounce off. When you go heavier you lose velocity. Velocity has a higher impact on energy than does weight. If you double weight you double energy. If you double velocity you square energy. A few grains of weight is not as big a deal as it might sound like. There are 7000 grains to the pound so a grain is not a whole bunch. The main thing is accuracy and if something is costing accuracy--it aint worth it. BTW Dick Cheney was told to shoot the pellets backwards and he wounded 3 people in the crowd.

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Here is image, I think.

The ten grains appear to have more penetration at all ranges, but the 13 grain expands a bit more.

These have been scrubbed up with oxiclean to getr rid of the blood and feathers as I intend to weigh them.

The biggest advantage to the 13 grain is that it is quite abit more quiet. I agree about the parachute deploying as soon as the pellet leaves ones property line.

I tried the 22 caliber many years ago when Mel Tappan was writing his Survivalist newsletter, and he sent me one to test. I shot some pidgeons with it that were roosting in my hay barn, and the heavly pellets shot through the birds and put a hole in my tin roof!

I had better luck with 88 grain JHP from a 9mm pistol. It kind of put me off very powerful air rifles.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not head shoot them your rifle is plenty accurate for that well kill them fast.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
pdog,

they are pretty nervous and dont stand around very long.

head shots not an option.

Fast walk and body shot only.

Andy

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Got a good sized rooster today. Two steps over 25 yards. 13 grain conical Predator Big Boy. Decisive put down. Hit in front of and a bit higher than left leg. A 177 wont kill a rooster, so still had to wring his neck but he wasnt going anywhere, and you usually have to run them down with the 10 grain domed Kodiak. Very decisive stop.

Andy