THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Girandoni 46 Caliber 20 shot repeater from Lewis and Clark Expedition

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girandoni 46 Caliber 20 shot repeater from Lewis and Clark Expedition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
This air rifle has been discussed here before. the bottom line is the numbers given are HIGHLY suspect-re. shot count and velocity/power levels. even with today's advanced metallurgy/pneumatics/gas pressure vessels, no manufacturer can come close to the claimed power and shot count of this rifle. it is an interesting historical footnote, but take the facts/figures with a HUGE grain of salt.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13144 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar, I find it an incredible piece of engineering for the time frame. And I don't care if it was only capable of firing ONCE!

I will state this, however: I suspect somebody somewhere tested that rifle.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it is an incredible piece of engineering. and no doubt it could shoot once or twice. but the claim of 20 shots on a charge is ridiculous.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13144 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was PCP before there was PCP...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The UTube account, claiming the Girandoni as the Lewis and Clark airgun, claiming it alone accounted for their not being attacked by Indian, etc. etc. on and on, is sheer bunk. The "account," Partly based on wishful thinking, partly based on fiction and fantasy has no historical data to support it. The rifle used by Lewis and Clark was not a Girandoni at all, but was a similar rifle made by a German American Penn. watch and clock maker who was skilled in airgun making too. The researched facts have all been well documented, historically, before, but it seems a small number of people keep altering the facts more to their liking, with the claims getting increasingly more wild as time goes on.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote