Find
Notify
Tools

Deep cleaning of BLR 81 in .308
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Do I have to remove the hammer and take the bolt out the rear? It looks like three pins have to be pressed out. The gun works like a bolt action operated by lever actuated gears. After I bought it I found lots of old grease in the rack gear on the bottom of the bolt. Small amounts of rust being hard to reach, I sprayed out the action with brake cleaner outside of the house. Tried to get most to drain away from the wood. My old NRA firearm disassembly book doesn't include the BLR. Anyone have a disassembly tutorial that can be forwarded? Be Well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Be careful - I seem to recall something about timing the gears during re-assembly. You may want to PM toomanytools he is a BLR aficionado as I recall.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I suspect that is correct. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
BLR Disassembly PDF

Let's see if this helps Packrat.

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the info. Thanks I THINK I can do it now. Be Well. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those cogs are some kind of plastic, I think I would soak it then blow it out and call it good, that seems to work on the Win. 94s.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't scare me Ray. Actually I think I can do it. I have an ultrasound cleaning machine coming tomorrow. Be Well. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pay close attention to Page 7 , part G. Timing. .001-.015 clearance.

quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
BLR Disassembly PDF

Let's see if this helps Packrat.

Justin

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. All BPS 10 ga is in the Ultrasonic cleaner. The BLR is next. Thanks again for the precise information. Be Well. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew!! glad Im a Savage 99 man, I can break down a 99 in minutes and put it back together blindfolded I think...but been doing that for years...I suspect the BLR is the same in that once you have done it successfully its a snap, well I hope for your sake!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Whew!! glad Im a Savage 99 man, I can break down a 99 in minutes and put it back together blindfolded I think...but been doing that for years...I suspect the BLR is the same in that once you have done it successfully its a snap, well I hope for your sake!! tu2

Well you definitely can't do it blindfolded....it takes several attempts usually in fiddling with the spur gear and it's mesh with the rack in order to have the proper lockup. Just keep shifting a tooth or two each assembly and it'll eventually all come together properly and the carrier will travel all the way forward. The .001-.015" clearance is between that carrier and the rear of the bolt. You're just ensuring the bolt is completely turned/locked in the barrel extension/locking lugs. Make sure you drive the pins out the correct direction as one side is knurled for a press fit...

I had a friend GIVE me an old steel receiver BLR as he had it assembled improperly and hadn't touched it for years. I took it apart, turned a barrel to match the contour and chambered it in 250-3000 and put it all back together. One of my favorite little rifles to shoot and it is very accurate!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang,
Id like to have a BLR in 250-3000 but Id never take it apart, been in such wrecks over the years with less complicated firearms..My first being a Win 92, then a 94, and finally got those two figured out, and never intend to deep clean again, The good Lord made gun smiths for that Im pretty sure, either that or to drive customers crazy with promises, not sure which! jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120