New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore tech elimintor problem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used the stuff for the first time today and boy does it clean, it cleans so well that my brass jags were being eaten by the stuff I could not believe how arresive Bore tech was! Now My problem the stuff eats away at the brass jags and leaves such a beautiful blue on the patches you cant tell if the barrel is clean, I know my jags are clean (haha) any recomendations of different material jags? This just eats away at copper and brass like its melting butter in heat, need some help!
Thanks
Elmer

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
This thought has crossed my mind but I do not know if the cleaning chemicals will eat it or not...have to do a pretest before using:

I thought about cutting a small 2" square of Saran Wrap and spearing it with the jag first, then spear a soaked cleaning patch over it. This way, the brass jag is protected from the chemical and you'll know if the blue is from the bore.

Anyone know what, if anything, any bore solvents would do to Saran Wrap? I've not tried it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try using a tight-fitting nylon brush and wrap your patch around it. Might just work! Smiler

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmerdeer,

I believe someone makes a nickel (I think) Jag to solve this very problem I believe I seen it in one of the benchrest websites. I was thinking of trying it as well.

Goodluck!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Eliminator. Used some for the first time last week and boy did it clean!

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elmerdeer, I use the eliminator all the time, and haven't had this issue with my jags. I happen to have Bore Tech and Dewey Hale jags, oh and Pro Shot too-- none of them seem to be bothered....having said that, I take some citrus based Powder Blast and spray off my jags when I'm done cleaning with them, maybe that helps??

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Tipton Ultra jags are nickel plated.

Tipton Ultra jags

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
will those Tiptons work in a BoreTech Borestick cleaning rod?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
The have an 8-32 thread, dunno if it will work other than that. They work well with the Tipton carbon fiber rod.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoppes have nylon jags in .22, .30 and .45 caliber...