New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slip 2000 Carbon Killer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Noticed this stuff in Midway's catalog, has anyone tried it?

http://www.slip2000.com/carbonkiller.html

I need to find something to get the carbon out of a milsurp barrel, I've worn out two bronze brushes and the stuff keeps coming, afraid I'll ruin the bores. Does this stuff really disssolve carbon?

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an article on cleaning that mentions it, I use the Hoppe's Elite they mention, works very well and it's available just about everywhere locally.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 works very well. I use it before a dose of Wipeout and it sure makes things easy. I put it on a mop, work it back and forth into a little lather and let it soak for a few minutes.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think it will have any effect on the baked on carbon in a milsurp? This stuff has been very tough.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob,
I e-mailed Slip 2000 asking about the stuff and a lady there was nice enough to send me a sample size jar to try. It's pretty good stuff...beats working the carbon off with Muthers.

Bob

"Onward through the Fog"

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report I may have to give it a try.

I tried some GMC Top Engine Cleaner which was mentioned as being used for burnt on carbon, pulled the barrel and filled the bore up, let it sit for a week. Nothing, Nada, some came out as clean as it went in and didn't soften anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
Slip 2000 simply works! I brush the bore a couple of times with it on a nylon brush - making sure the bore is completely wet - then let it sit for @ 10 minutes before patching it out. Use 3-4 patches on the same brush, as the first one won't get it all out. It doesn't hurt to wet those patches with denatured alcohol to "wash" it out.
Then I foam the bore and let that sit for 30 min, or so. Most of the time, the rifle is clean enough at that point. I'll lube, the run two dry patches thru, and I'm done.
If I want a bore squeaky-clean, I'll follow the foam with JB on a TIGHT patch, short-stroking for 2-3 passes, then lube & patch out.
I have yet to find anything that will clean behind this regimen. HTH,,,,,,,,,Bug.
BTW, GM top engine cleaner changed recently. The old stuff came in a metal can. The new product, in a plastic bottle, is not nearly as good.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bug, I will have to get some on my next Midway order and give it a try.
I got some of the new GM TEC in the plastic bottle and tried it. I pulled the barrel, plugged the breach and filled it with TEC. I let it sit for 10 days. When I poured out the TEC it was as clean as the day it went in, didn't do a thing.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like JB or Rem Clean for heavy baked on carbon. Both are abrasive but, work very well with a bit of care.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote