New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borescope pics-potholes in the bore.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those pics look like debris got trapped between the rifling button or a mandrel and got impressed or rolled against the bore. Maybe reamed tube was not cleaned well enough before rifling.

quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Here are some pics of the carbon at the junction of the neck of the chamber and the throat.
I have not shot these rifles in about 15yrs.They all have stopped shooting-meaning they will not hit on the target paper at 100yds.They all have about a couple of hundred rounds through them.I am going to clean up the carbon in this area, shoot them and report back some time in the future.The last pic is the same area of my CZ 458WM that I cleaned up completely.I use this rifle to shoot cast bullets and it has over two thousand rounds through it.
[URL= ]Win.mod.70 super grade 300WM[/URL]
[URL= ]win mod 70 classic 300wm[/URL]
[URL= ]Win mod 70 classic sporter 300WM[/URL]
[URL= ]Win mod 70 270wsm[/URL]
[URL= ]Rem.700BDL 300RUM[/URL]
[URL= ]CZ 458WM [/URL]

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what is worth... ive had barrels that when looked through wuth a bore scope you could not find a thing wrong with them but they would not shoot at all.
Then ive had barrels that looked like crap with all sorts of imperfections and inclusions that shouldnt shoot at all but would shoot bug holes.

Let the bullet decide.
I really think the quality of the steel is the biggest factor.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like porosity in the metal. I see it a lot in castings. It probably really isn't an issue in durability or accuracy, and was probably in the steel before the barrel was forged and tooled.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Classic Sporter(same as the one pictured above) after a throat cleaning.I am going to shoot this rifle today and see if it shoots again or accuracy is restored.I doubt that it will shoot.I believe it stopped shooting because of bore erosion-the bore diameter becoming to large.I got some Rel.22 powder, Lapua cases, and Hornady 168gr Boatail match bullets that I will use.
[URL= ]Classic Sporter 300WM[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot both rifles out to 250yds and each grouped within an inch and a half.I am very pleased.These rifles had stopped shooting.Although I was not shooting the TSX bullets I normally use,I doubt that the bullet was the issue.I have a box of 180gr TSX bullets on order.I am going to take a three day deer hunting trip on public land, two hours north of here just to get out.Has anyone used the Hornady 168gr boatail match bullets on deer?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I would not hesitate in sending the picture to Pac-Nor for their feedback. If that is a virgin barrel, there is definitely something wrong here.

Pac-Nor is no longer in business.
The entire operation was destroyed in a fire and it's unknown when or even if they will resume production.

https://www.currypilot.com/new...0q66EKks-t2Vn6aoZhtI

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Win. "Classic" from above after a cleaning.This rifle once shot 5, 180 TSX's for a one hole group the size of a dime at 200yds.

[URL= ]Win "Classic"[/URL]

Here is the Win. 270WSM after a cleaning.I could never get this rifle to shoot well.No doubt I did not try hard enough.
I have some loads ready for it.The loads are with Rel.22,Norma cases,Win LRM primers and 140gr TSX.Both these rifles have stopped shooting.I will try to get them shooting again with the TSX bullet I used for them previously and exclusively.If the TSX's no longer work I think I will try AccuBond.

[URL= ]Win.model 270 WSM[/URL]

If I can get these rifles to shoot again with the TSX bullet that could mean that the carbon at the throat was the issue.If they don't shoot with the TSX but shoot with Accubonds or Hornady boatails the bullet could be the issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 300RUM throat after cleaning.I am going to load some rounds with Rel.22,Nosler cases,168gr Hornady match boattail and shoot this afternoon.

[URL= ]300RUM throat[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Mod.70 270WSM shot really well with the tsx bullets, 62grs Rel.22 and Norma cases.A half to three quarter inch, three shot group at 200yds.It shoots only two inches lower at 200yds than it does at 100yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some fine looking bores there George.
A few minor flaws, but, nothing major.

A friend brought his new toy over and we
scoped some of my guns.
'17 Enfield, original barrel that had
been cooked many times as an '06. Then
rechambered to .300Win.
Alligatored clear to the muzzle. Seeing
that I just couldn't stand it and had
a new barrel made with same contour put on.
Month later my gunsmith died. Hasn't been
fired yet.

Thanks for sharing all these pictures and
cleaning results.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Some fine looking bores there George.
A few minor flaws, but, nothing major.

A friend brought his new toy over and we
scoped some of my guns.
'17 Enfield, original barrel that had
been cooked many times as an '06. Then
rechambered to .300Win.
Alligatored clear to the muzzle. Seeing
that I just couldn't stand it and had
a new barrel made with same contour put on.
Month later my gunsmith died. Hasn't been
fired yet.

Thanks for sharing all these pictures and
cleaning results.

George

Let us know how it shoots when you get a chance to shoot it.
I shot my 300 WM classic yesterday and it only managed to give me a two inch group at 200yds.The group was about 4 inches lower than where it shot at 100yds but that's still a big improvement.As for the 300 RUM,it will require more work as it threw a couple of rounds way off.I am going to try a different powder and bullet for that one.The 270 WSM on the other hand was an eye opener.I will take that with me for a walk in the frosty bush next week after a whitertail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchesters were all made in New Haven.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja used to post a video on their website of a bore scope on a new factory Rem 700. It was horrifying as the lands looked smeared flat or distorted in places and the groove was not remotely consistent.

It showed the difference in a factory and a custom premium barrel.

Even in the premium barrel world, there is some variation.

Personally, I prefer Bartlein barrels as their CNC tech is at the top of the game and they can build just about anything you can dream up...but there are tons of other great barrel makers...Kreiger, Brux, Broughton, and so on...

Given my choice, it will be a Bartlein as that's what I have used the most on my competitive rifles that I spend the most time on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lockingblock:
Lilja used to post a video on their website of a bore scope on a new factory Rem 700. It was horrifying as the lands looked smeared flat or distorted in places and the groove was not remotely consistent.

It showed the difference in a factory and a custom premium barrel.

I believe this is the video you are posting about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the borescope video that launched me on my quest for the ideal barrel back when I was chasing bullet holes on the flat range. I used to shoot out to 1K on a fairly regular basis....monthly, sometimes weekly...and I was fanatical about my rifle. I cleaned some barrels to death long before they were shot out.

I will say though...those 30 cal 3 grooves are the hotness. I moved away from Lilja barrels years ago as my smith was not a fan of them but I do like their contour options and availability. Now that Naval Special Warfare has standardized them for the MK 13 program, I suspect they will be uber busy as the Win Mag eats barrels when launching the MK 248 (mod 0 being a 190 gr and mod 1 being a 220gr) projectile...and that was before they were looking at the 230gr Berger. My last experience with a MK 13 was with the MK 248 Mod 1 loading using a 220Gr Sierra. It was an absolute hammer of a round but you had to swap barrels at or before 1K rounds....and that was with a ton of maintenance, regular copper removal, JB touchups on the throat to get that carbon ring out and address some of the fire checking...and so on.

Now, I'm more of the view that, if you are running a barrel burner and intend to shoot it a lot- Buy an AI rifle so that you can call up Dave Tooley and just buy replacement barrels you can swap with an allen wrench.

It's totally outside the scope of hunting rifles...but AI rifles are spectacular. If I were doing it all again, I would skip my sojourn into accurizing 700s, stillers, and so on...and just buy an AI and a pile of barrels.