New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Round Out
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The first round out of a clean barrel is the most imortant one for "Snipers" and "Hunters"
as they usually do not have time to foul their barrel ahead of time.

I have found a product that seems to ensure that the first round out hits in the same place as subsequent rounds.

I conducted a barrel cleaning test a while back, and it did not seem to make a difference what cleaner you used, as long as you finished with Prolix, and a few dry patches, your first round out did not hit in a different place relative to the next rounds fired.

I have tested this in enough different barrels that others might want to give it a try as well.

This is especially handy if you are on a hunt and your barrel gets wet, you can punch it out with Prolix, and not worry about where the first round out tommorrow will hit.

You can get it from Aleko at Heritage Arms.

I would like some of you to give it a try and see if it works for you.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Interesting - is it a bore solvent or a "burnishing" agent of some sort like moly shooters use?

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a lubricant, cleaner, preserveative.

It does not contain moly.

Check out their website.

www.prolixlubricant.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Eesox would due the same a this Prolix.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenjoy:

Give it a try and let us know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eezox is great stuff for ARs. Keeps 'em shooting...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAVE BEEN USING PROLIX IN RIFLES AND HANDGUNS FOR 2-3 YEARS. PICKED IT UP AT A GUNSHOW IN ALBUQUERQUE. LIKE 450 SAID, ZERO DOES NOT SEEM TO CHANGE WHEATHER FOULED OR NOT. ALSO A VERY GOOD LUBRICANT. IT DRIES SO DOES NOT ATTRACT DUST. THE INFO ON PROLIX ALSO SAYS IT'S A RUST PREVENTIVE, BUT IT'S SO DRY HERE I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the nice thing about Eezox, you'll be hard pressed to find a better rust preventative, I've been using it for almost 20yrs, good stuff.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
conducted a barrel cleaning test a while back, and it did not seem to make a difference what cleaner you used, as long as you finished with Prolix, and a few dry patches, your first round out did not hit in a different place relative to the next rounds fired.

Do another test. Clean your bore and lesve whatever oil in it you wish. Before shooting again, swab out the residual with a wet patch of Hoppes #9, followed by 3-4 dry patches. My first reund is always in the group.

Got that tip from one of the really old hands in BR shooting, Mike Walker, formally of Remington. He was the designer of the Rem. 721/722/700/40X rifles, inventor of the .222/.222Mag and commercial developer of the .22-250, 7mm RM, etc. Still kicking but not so high these days, getting old.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Some barrels shoot the first rounds out of a very clean barrel differently than when they have been fouled a little. If I throughly clean a barrel and finish off with Prolix, the first 2 or 3 shots may hit differently than subsequent shots. If I only clean with Prolix and finish off with dry patches, I've found little or no difference in impact points between the first and subsequent shots.

Prolix isn't necessarily unique in the no change in impact point thing. If you use any solvent such as Hoppes, Shooter's Choice, etc. and only clean with a few patches with the solvent and then run dry patches through the bore there will be little change in impact point. The key is not to leave oil in the barrel; not only can shooting through an oiled barrel damage the barrel but the first few shots will be high and wild.

When I hunted in Sough Africa several years ago, the PH noted that the guns of visiting hunters usually shot high (mine didn't though). I believe the reason is that in getting ready for the trip, they probably clean their gun of choice very well and leave a coating of oil in the barrel.

By the way, I really like Prolix.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread I'm just going to clean as usual, then leave my barrel dry. It's stainless, so what could it hurt?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
After reading this thread I'm just going to clean as usual, then leave my barrel dry. It's stainless, so what could it hurt?

Your barrel is "stainless", not rustless.
I'd run a patch with KLEENZOIL or something similar through it, then a couple of dry patches. Kleenzoil dries in a day or two and does not affect accuracy.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cleaned my new and somewhat broken in 300 WSM. I then shot three rounds of factory ammo and the first two were touching and the third was within an inch.

I read about a year ago or so on this forum form another member about oil messing up groups and requiring barrel fouling. He was correct in my experience. Now I never oil after I clean my barrels unless I plan to store for a long period of time.