New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor/Silencer cleaning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do suppressors need to be cleaned periodically? I would think they may need cleaning to keep the unit working properly. Meaning to keep the firearm quiet, they should be cleaned. If so, my guess is you would need to disassemble the suppressor to clean it properly. Anyone ever clean their silencer?

JBM

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they should be cleaned if you do much shooting. If you shoot matches frequently then it's a maintenance thing. If you go hunting once a year then it probably doesn't matter. I weigh mine when new/clean, then it's simple to weigh again to see how much crud is in there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JPL....That's a good idea, using weight to determine when you need to clean it. Can you give me an estimate as to how many rounds you shoot before you need to clean, 500, 1000 more/less? Also, how do you clean it? Take it apart, if possible; or pour in solvent, shake it up pour it out, repeat?

JBM

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2 high power cans that I use do NOT come apart or break down. Both manufacturers tell me they self-clean.
One of the "cans" I use goes on and off 7 different rifles ranging from .204 to .308 cartridges and it's never been cleaned and seems to work great still.
So, who's right and who's wrong? I've spoken with them directly on this very subject.
Mine sure work great. Whacked a coyote last Sunday morning and it was a quiet little whoooosh. (me shrugging my shoulders)

Zeke

PS: my buddy has one similar to mine (doesn't come apart or break down) and he will use a sonic cleaner/solvent every year or so. I'll probably do mine at the 2000 round-count mark +/- a few hundred.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 22lr suppressor says it MUST be broken down and thoroughly cleaned every 200 shots. They are not kidding since it gets dirty enough to make disassembly difficult much beyond that mark.

I now do it well under 200 rounds whenever I can.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Zeke. I have one made by SSK Industries. It has two indent holes on one end for a spacer wrench It appears. Not sure it is meant to be dissembled. I may contact SSK and ask them what to do in this regard. I do shoot it sub-sonic, so it may not self-clean as it does not have the high power, but I guess I could load/shoot some high power cartridges to clean it while shooting. Thanks again for your input.

JBM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBM:
Thanks for the info Zeke. I have one made by SSK Industries. It has two indent holes on one end for a spanner wrench It appears. Not sure it is meant to be dissembled. I may contact SSK and ask them what to do in this regard. I do shoot it sub-sonic, so it may not self-clean as it does not have the high power, but I guess I could load/shoot some high power cartridges to clean it while shooting. Thanks again for your input.

JBM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBM,
I've shot a few (damn few) sub sonic round through my suppressor with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge.
I agree (or suspect) that some cleaning is periodically required if you shoot very many subsonic through the suppressor.
If the can breaks apart, great. If not, use a sonic cleaner and it will work great (buddy does it every year or so but I never have yet)

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a muzzle brake I spray it with whatever like WD-40 and blow it dry with my air compressor, then clean the bore and dry everything on the ones that don't come off..but only about once a year, if that..

Most of mine all come off, so its a seperate operation. I don't have any permanent ones these days.

I suspect just bore cleaning would clean the brake as well, unless it tears up the patch in which case I use a different brand of brake.

Only ever used a silencer on a 22 auto pistol many years ago..it was a fun gun for sure and all you could hear was the working of the action..never cleaned it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote