New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anybody used a product called Ballistoil for your firearms and if so what your verdict.

Posts: 93 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it a lot because it is safe on wood stocks. One still would not want to soak a wood stock in Ballistoil and let set.

It will, for lack of a better word, congeal, but breaks back down when you wipe it. I could see it gumming up inside a revolver if one was too heavy or did not wipe off excess.

It was too light to use on the rails of my Dan Wesson 1911, but the less tight Ruger 1911 likes it.

It will discolor leather.

You can buy the rope single packets to stick in the travel case when hunting overseas or across the state.

Posts: 4646 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you LHeym500 for your input

Posts: 93 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used two pints of it up as a rust preventive
worked well for that I didn't use as a lube in the action

Posts: 17367 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is the same as P Dog. I've used it for years as a rust preventative, but have selected other products for lubricants. Not that it wouldn't work, I just didn't try it.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to compare all the different gun cleaning, protection, et. stuff out there, and have been trying for 70 plus years I guess, still seems to me one is as good as the other, short of obvious failures..and opinnions are a dime a dozen on the blogs, one hates WD-40 and another has used it and liked it for eons..Ive used BAllistoil, and WD-40, both worked as far as I could tell, as did a hundred or more others Ive tried, which one was best, I have no idea..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 38339 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I really like the stuff and use it on my 1911s mostly because it does seem to set up and stay in place but I have used gun grease also on the rails. Just depends, as long as you have something that is what matters.
Plus I like the smell of it, smells like black licorice to me.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 2634 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use it as a cleaner for my cowboy action guns that shoot black powder loads. It really gets the gunk loose. Clean with it, then clean with windex , then breakfree the gun for rust protection is my procedure.

Posts: 5362 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A dry soft rag works pretty good, in case you havn't noticed, most US Custom Agents, and DEA Agents don't use holsters and stick their gun in the waste butt forward called the Mexican Carry, and they don't want a oily gun soaking up their clothes, If you wipe it down every evening or so it will work fine, most carry automatics or chief specials in various calibers...the guns don't fail to function, gaul, or rust if one pays attention. Something some will surely condem..but you might want to give it a try, and a light coat of thin oil "wiped dry" on ocassion might be OK, as will a bore swipe followed by a cleaning patch...Its worked for years on the high humid South Texas border, even better on the west Texas Sonorian dessert border from Sanderson to El Paso, Tex..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 38339 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, are you really that much out of touch with the current real world ?

one of us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
Ray, are you really that much out of touch with the current real world ?

Rays cleaning ritual sounds identical to mine,,I clean with #9 but oil with whatever is on hand at the moment,,3 in 1 works perfect for most jobs!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1326 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you heard of/seen Feds sticking/carrying their guns butt forward in the waist, "Mexican Carry". They do carry "automatics", but "chief specials" ? Yeah, right.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I like Ballistol, and use it to clean and protect the bores on my black powder cartridge rifles.
The ARs get CLP.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 14261 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote