Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning moly coating
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I had a senior moment at Gander Mountain the other day, picked up two boxes of Black Hills 52 gr. Moly BTHP's, instead of the regular load.

The good news is it's by far the most accurate load I've tried in my SU16, previous best groups were in the 2.25-2.5" range for 5 shots. These did 1.2" for 5 shots and 1.8" for 10 shots. Turned it into a real shooter, not like a match grade AR but pretty darn good for a SU16.

But man that is some black crud when it comes time to clean. Since I'm hooked on them are there any easy tricks for getting the moly coating out of the barrel. Or is it just elbow grease?

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still find a few "copper traces" in my barrels with Moly coated bullets. So, I clean just enough to remove that.

Having the Moly burnished into the Bore is what you want to maintain consistancy. And yes it does look darker when gazing into the Bore.

Once I have the Copper Traces removed, I put a tight Paper Patch on a Jag, lightely coat it with a Moly Grease and then dust some Moly Powder onto the grease. Then I give the Bore 1-20 strokes. May even dust on a bit more Moly and Burnish the Bore with a few more strokes.

Finish cleaning by running a clean tight fitting Paper Patch or two through the Bore to remove any excess Lube.
---

The biggest mistake made with Moly is thinking that No Cleaning is necessary. That can lead to a Pitted Bore. But if the Moly is Burnished-in and a light coat of Lubricant applied, the water vapor can't get through to the steel.

It no longer looks like a hall-of-mirrors as you look in the barrel, but the Moly benefits are well worth it to me.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hot Core.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what you need is jb bore paste

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have also seen Bench Rest shooters use primarily JB Bore Paste for their rifles which use Moly coated bullets.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought KG12 and tested it on
a Molycoated bullet to see the effect.
According to my results KG12 also removes
Moly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe-Out removes Moly. I use 2 passes with Wipe-out and then a few strokes with a patch cover brush with Bore-Brite on it. Bores come out no-copper, no-moly with no hassle..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweets 7.62 removes moly quite well.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not a big deal just start shooting the gun with Naked bullets and with regular cleaning and soon it will be gone. Had it in my Remington VSSF .223 and that is what I did to get rid of it. The former owner had used the Molly coated bullets. Gun shoots great.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Jay,I had bought a used 22-250 that the prev owner used moly bullets in.Drove me up the wall till I got it all out.Used shooters choice.

Posts: 34 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Maybe a dumb question, but what kind of paper for patch? Thanks

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I have used Kroil to remove moly and it works quite well. I also use strips of paper towel on my wrap around jags.

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote