Login/Join

one of us
posted
Destination: The Island of Mauritius
Outfitter: Ivan Charoux/Vacances Aventures
Dates: November 12-21,2021
Game hunted: Javan Rusa deer
Game seen: Rusa deer, boar, monkeys(several kinds), guinea fowl and francolin
Rifle: Guide's Tikka 30-06 with 2-8 Zeiss scope (non-residents cannot bring their own rifles to Mauritius)
Ammo: 150 grain Norma factory loads
Species fished for: Marlin, tuna, wahoo, durado and a cornucopia of reef species
Fish caught: Wahoo, durado, trevally and reef fish

Sadie with trophy stag

Ancient old stag

This view is the whole 17,000 acre hunting area

Behind us is what most of island is like. It is very mountainous.

The Magic Hooker that we fished from

A little chop going that first day

Sadie and Sebastain our skipper making a game plan

My first Dorado

Sadie Wahooing over her Wahoo!

Would like to have caught a lot more of these travallys

Sadie with a double on Rouge

Hindu temple. Mauritius's population is 56% Indian

Painted Earth. Nothing grows there but it is surrounded by lush forest. My camera did not do the colors justice.

View from our room in the first spot we stayed.

View from the room in the 2nd spot we stayed.

Several years ago John and Laura duPlooy told Sadie and I about a vacation they had taken on Mauritius. It all sounded like fun and I started to make inquiries about a trip for us. The first operator I contacted that John had used wasn't very responsive but Ivan Charoux/Vacances Aventures was so we made a plan to do some hunting, fishing and touring of the island. We initially booked for 2019 but delayed it by a year because of other obligations. Covid in 2020 hit killing our plans for that year so we finally got to Mauritius in November of this year after it opened in Oct.

The hunting was great fun. All spot and stalk on foot but there are lots of deer so eventually you are going to get a shot at a good representative stag which we did on day one. The following day we looked for an old non-trophy stag. That was even more fun as a non trophy was harder to find and isolate in the herd. Late in the after noon of day two we did get it done.

The hunt was conducted on 17,000 acres of private ground that is all dedicated to the deer and sugar cane. Obviously the sugar cane has to grow on the limited flat land but interestingly the deer seem to be very comfortable in the flats and on the very steep mountain sides.

The deer were introduces in colonial times as were the pigs, game birds and unfortunately rats plus monkeys which devastate the bird population.

Here I should say the terrain is not tough but the footing is incredibly rocky in places. You really have to pay attention to where you are stepping. Good ankle supporting footwear is essential.

We used the European type sticks that support both the forestock and the buttstock. I had not used these before and they are the bomb. A 200 yard shot off sticks is pretty easy with these. I have access to very similiar sticks here stateside if anyone is interested. Ivan's 30-06 Tikka also seemed to be about the perfect tool with an exceptionally fine trigger.

Salt water sport fishing is a fairly recent activity for Sadie and I so we looked forward to seeing what Mauritius could offer. We knew we were not there in prime time for the off-shore fishing but we wanted to try. We did not get a marlin although a few were caught while we were there. We did get into the dorado and wahoo one day with some amazing action for about two continuous hours. In-shore we must have caught a dozen varieties of fish in ever color of the rainbow and it was a non stop bite drifting with bait. Doubles and triples common on our lines.

While we were there we wanted to see the island and learn a little about its history. Ivan had arrange for a tour guide and Anand our guide seemed to know everything about anything Mauritius related. There are some very interesting things to see and do there. Anyone should dedicate two days to touring to see most of it. Anand also knew were the best food was. Lobster and prawns caught that morning or a real Indian curry. Fantastic! Did I mention the rum???? I had no idea that rum could be on the same level as great scotch and bourbon but what we tasted at the Chamaral Distillery was superb.

Overall I think Mauritius is a great destination to add a new species of deer to your collection or just for a family vacation. There is lots to do there If you are looking for something civilized but a little out of the norm. The roads are good and infrastructure seems to work. There are very few American tourists that come to Mauritius. Mostly Europeans with a lot of French and South Africans have tended to come there.

Mauritius when everything gets back to normal can be reached easily on a 3.5 hour flight from JHB or direct from Dubai. It's no more difficult than connecting in JHB to fly to Mozambique, Zimbabwe etc.

Contact me if you are interested in putting together something for Mauritius. I'll be putting an ad up soon with basic pricing.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had fun, Mark.

Definitely different.

Very interesting pictures there.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks interesting with beautiful scenery. Looked like the water was rough off shore. Glade you were finally able to make the trip.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I remember Mauritius for its gin-clear waters and little remote islands you could boat to. Very friendly people and excellent and cheap sea food in the old town.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun trip!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, for your report and pics! tu2 Best to you and Sadie! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your fishing/hunting success.

Looks like paradise!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Mauritius was kinda like a Caribbean vacation but you got too hunt as well as fish with all kinds of water sports available.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Mauritius was kinda like a Caribbean vacation but you got too hunt as well as fish with all kinds of water sports available.

Mark

Glad you all had a great time.

I prefer my hunting to be just HUNTING.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
clap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always tried to add some touring, fishing etc. to any safari I've been on. It just enriches the the total experience.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always tried to add some touring, fishing etc. to any safari I've been on. It just enriches the the total experience.

Yep, me too, especially when the wife is involved. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Mark

That is great Mark.

Do whatever is best for your holiday.

I do the same.

But I tend to make my trips single purpose.

We do sometimes have friends along who are not hunters, we call them "hangers on"

One time in Zimbabwe, I shot an elephant very late in the afternoon, and we left him to come to in the morning to cut up.

A friend and his wife were with us - he does not hunt, just loves being out in the bush and takes photos, and so is his wife.

We were getting ready to go, and his wife was dragging her feet.

Roy was complaining about having women.

I told him to go, and leave her behind.

He was so happy, especially as it really annoyed her.

He said "hunting is hunting, hangers on can stay in camp!" clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Mark! How far offshore were you usually fishing? The shoreline Looks fairly close in your pics.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

We were close in. About as soon as we cleared the Angler's Club the mate was setting out the array. I don't think we were ever more than 8-10 miles out. Because Mauritius is volcanic water drops off into 2000 feet deep not far beyond the reef so the pelagic fish come close by the island.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Mark. I really want to go there.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Zanzibar.

Of course, I can't comment on the fishing part.

When I go fishing, the fish throw a party and I furnish the food and entertainment.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I go fishing, the fish throw a party and I furnish the food and entertainment.

rotflmo clap

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool trip Mark. A long way to go to shoot a deer but might be a neat add-on to a short safari.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Ivan often has clients add-on Mauritius to a safari in RSA. It is only 3.5 hours from JHB. Of course it wouldn't be that difficult to do if you were traveling through JHB on your way home from any Southern African country to take a side trip to Mauritius.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time, I also enjoy adding on fishing and sightseeing to our vacations!

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice relaxing time Mark. A little different from the trip I just came back from!

Nice Rusa too.

Cheers

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

DSC Booth 1212 (Dallas 6th to 9th January, 2022)
SCI Booth 1751 (Las Vegas 19th to 22nd January, 2022)

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote