Find
Notify
Tools

My First African Safari in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted
Me and two other guy's went to Zim and hunted October 15-24 with Nengasha Safaris. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back!

Booking Agent: Ray Atkinson
Company: Nengasha Safari's
Owner: Danny Friend and Paul Bennie
PH's: Wayne Bartlett and Craig Robinson
Rifles: Krieghoff Classic 9.3x74R and 318 Westly Richards
Animals taken: Bufallo, Kudu, Impala, Zebra x2, Warthog, Wildebeest

We hunted the Omay South Concession for Buffalo and we killed Three nice bulls in three days! Our PH's were great guy's and new the area well. One shot from the 9.3 and my buff went 50yds and went down with the death bellow shortly following!

One shot on the Kudu also with the 9.3, he is a 50" Bull

I thought I had lost my Zebra, but we found him the next morning! I hit him once but my shot was not placed well so he ran about a half mile and it got to dark to track so we followed up the next morning!

I had a little trouble with my Impala so I won't tell my embarrasing story but it was with the 9.3 also.

Here's Pumba!

I was able to shoot a wildebeest for the game scouts!

Now I have to come up with a way to quickly recover and get back over there!!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very successful trip and beautiful trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations nice trophies and I am sorry about your new addiction WinkZim is the best drug you will ever be addicted to.I've only managed to get there three times so far but am working on that jumbo for next time.If you are dropping a line to wayne or paul say G'day for me I bumped into them while I was hunting with Matt Stanton great guy's

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shawn
good to hear you had a great hunt, Wayne was my PH when i went over earlier on this year and he was great to hunt with, and he was just super on those leopards
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first safari and some nice trophies. Did you use your .318 on any game?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
I did get a second Zebra and I used the 318 on it. We were checking a waterhole for warthog tracks and this lame mare was there and in horrible condition. She had a broken leg and was walking on the bone so the PH had me put her down. I'll get some pics posted of her and her foot. I wasn't comfortable enough with the open sights to try the 318 on anything else.

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of the lame Zebra. Look at the rifle and Zebra, not at me!

I also failed to mention in my first post that Ray Atkinson was very helpful in putting our hunt together and so was Gracy Travel, so I would like to say thanks to both of them!! Also I think we had absolutely wonderful and very knowledgable PH's also! Craig and Wayne are the best!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
Did my first in Zimbabwe, its a great place in my mind to experance Africa and not feal like you are in texas, not all but alot of S.A. feal to much like a game ranch in Texas, Congrats and thanks for the pics !

Posts: 131 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies. I see the wound on the impala. I'll you bet you had a bit of walking to recover him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to see the old rifle back over there.
I want badly to use my .318 in Africa but my eyes don't allow me the priviledge any longer.
Congratulations.
FRank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SHAWN
that second zebra that you shot that had the injured foot, Monjoro the game scout wanted me to shoot him but it gave us the slip, and we never saw him again, but at that time the zebra was in really good condition
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NAHC Life Member

a very nice buffalo. Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats and nice trophies. How is Craig doing? I hunted with him in 2002 and had a great trip. Havent heard from him lately though.

Gene Cole III

Posts: 57 | Location: Belton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shawn,
Looks like you had a great hunt.
What scope base's and rings are on the Double, and also what ammo did you use
Warren

Posts: 24 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
The base is a weaver style that I think that Eurogun Imports sold for a while, it has warne rings. I don't like it at all and am going to have Krieghoff put the correct swing mounts on it when I get the money! I won't even be able to feed my family for a year after the Zim trip!! We all needed to loose weight anyway!!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Craig is doing great, as onery as ever! We had a blast with him and Wayne! He will be at the Dallas SCI show.

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I am going to my very first safari next year to Zim and I was quite doubted to take my Krieghoff 375 HH as the only rifle. Now I have no doubts Smiler

Which bullets did you use in 9.3x74?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
I used Nosler 286 partitions and Woodleigh 286 solids. One Partition is all it took on the Buff, didn't need a solid!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Booking Agent: Ray Atkinson

This shocked me, I thought Ray had sworn off booking for Zim????

Looks like you had a fantastic hunt. Congratulations.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another successful hunt packaged by Ray Atkinson!! I hope to get a PG safari done for 2009, Lord willing.

FOUR DAYS TIL I HEAD TO ZIM. Got a date with a Cape Buffalo bull.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Way to go Shawn! bet you can't wait to go back and shoot more Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos, excellent trophies, congratulations and thanks for sharing it.

Merry Christmas,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I'm glad i found this thread! I'll be heading over with Nengasha in late August. This site is great.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Wow, great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote