ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Elephant, Croc and Hippo Hunt with Lin Stanton

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant, Croc and Hippo Hunt with Lin Stanton
 Login/Join

Picture of Into The Jesse
posted
Operator - Mbalabala Safaris/MJK Safaris
PH - Lin Stanton
Animals hunted - Non Trophy Elephant Bull, Hippo and Crocodile

This was my client's second trip with Mbalabala Safaris,he had hunted years before shooting a trophy Elephant. After picking up him and his wife from the beautiful Victoria falls we headed south to our hunting camp in the Deka tail safaris.We would be using the camp as a base then heading out to the Hwange communal land which was ten minutes away.

We started off by checking a few waterholes for fresh sign of elephant bulls, we did see some sign but nothing fresh. Walking almost 15 km the first morning was tough. Whilst having some lunch on the first day we spotted eleven elephant bulls crossing the boundary. The following day we decided to check an area close to the Zambezi River where we had seen some sign of elephant, sure enough as soon as we got into the area we found sign of 12 Bulls. We decided to follow. After following for four hours and covering ten kilometres, we could tell by the sign that the bulls were close. After another ten mins of tracking we heard them moving ahead of us. The wind had been swirling all day so we decided to move off to the left and climb a small hill. We spotted the bulls now resting in the shade. We sat and watched them for several minutes then decided to go in and have a look. Getting the wind right we walked down a river bed until we heard them flapping their ears. We spotted the elephant about 100 yards away. Walking slowly up to them until we were less then 30 yards,lucky for us they were standing in the shade in an open area. Putting the shooting sticks up for my client, we watched and waited for the right bull to present a shot Being a non trophy hunt we were looking for a bull with a big body or broken tusks, we spotted a bull with the biggest body then waited for him to present a shot. After a few mins the bull moved in straight towards us,my client fired for a frontal brain and the bull collapsed after putting in a few finishing shots we took some photos and had a much needed drink of water. It was two o'clock now and the truck was five kilometres away so we decided to walk to the truck and cut a road in to recover the elephant.several hours later we had over 50 villagers there helping recover the elephant.

My client was also interested in hunting a big croc he had previously shot two before but was looking for something big. We had seen some big crocs previously. We spent three days looking at over 100 crocs nothing that really stood out until we saw him!!! He was laying on the bank sunning himself there was a few other crocs around him and he made them look tiny. We stalked up to him unfortunately we could only get to 100 yards of him,using the .270, my client shot the croc just behind the back of the head. The shot was perfect the crocs tail was thrashing around pushing him closer and closer to the water a few more shots into him as he slid back into the water. I quickly ran down to the edge and could see the white of his belly laying dead a few feet under water. After three of us pulled him out onto the bank we then could see how big he was. After some photos we loaded him onto the boat and took him back to camp for skinning we put a tape on him and he measured 15'3"

We spent the rest of the safari looking for a big hippo bull. After looking at several bulls we decided to take a big bull that we had spotted resting close to the bank. My client made a perfect brain shot. Several photos later we got started on the skinning. Once the skin was off we dished out all the meat to the nearby villages who were so grateful.

Into The Jesse

www.intothejesse.com

email - intothejesse@gmail.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great croc but that bull elephant looks awfully nice for a non trophy specimen. Maybe it's the angle of the pic but in many areas of Zim that would definitely be a trophy bull. The tusks look pretty good.

What happens to the ivory now?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Some serious trophies there. The croc is a monster and very well done on that one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lin Stanton
posted Hide Post
The tusks do look big but it was the way I took the picture. He was under twenty pounds.

Lin Stanton
Email: lindon@mbalabalasafaris.com
www.mbalabalasafaris.com

Posts: 134 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lin Stanton
posted Hide Post
The ivory will be handed into the council.

Lin Stanton
Email: lindon@mbalabalasafaris.com
www.mbalabalasafaris.com

Posts: 134 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt, and welcome to AR. Plenty of African activity here!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lin Stanton:
The tusks do look big but it was the way I took the picture. He was under twenty pounds.

Very nice Lin.

You just proved that I know nothing about judging ivory.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe the tusks are less than 20 lb per tusk. They look much larger.

I sure would like to see some more pics of that bull from other angles.

Thanks,

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lizard.
Good shooting, congrats to you and the hunter.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies all! Well done.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report and photos. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the trophies.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that is some crock congradulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an Aussie!!! Smiler

Awesome croc Lin - congrat's to all concerned!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Great Trophies, Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lin well done, the croc is a sod!

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Nicely done , congrats to all involved.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Duckworth
posted Hide Post
Well done Lin, cracker of a hunt and a "mushe" croc!!

Doug Duckworth
Professional Hunter
Mokore Safaris
@dougduckworthsafaris
dougduckworth@mokore.com
www.mokoresafarisafrica.com
@dougduckworthsafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt with some great animals!

Good job!

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, Lin. I need to get back there some day. Blake

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote