Find
Notify
Tools

Question for YOU!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted
Who is the gray-bearded gentleman posing behind the cape buf in the large photo that appears at the top of every post?

I've wondered for years but never asked.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be ready for an avalanche of emails!
He is our own Walter - inventor, namesake of the Walter-hog bullet, wildcatter, world traveler, the man the patterned the Dos Equis commercials after- The Most Interesting Man in the World. Known by women everywhere feared by men and furry animals, known for cooking skills, inventor of the Internet and cell phone.
I could go on and on .....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Is this Saeed's hunting partner? And did you mean to say "feared by sheepy animals"? Big Grin

What's the story on that buf? When/where taken, outfitter/PH and rifle and caliber.

Does Walter post on the forum?

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That would require a minimum level of literacy :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

That would require a minimum level of literacy :-)

sofa

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to share the facts on that photo? The where/when and what the heck that rifle is? It looks huge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/5221043

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Wow, never noticed that before.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Now you're talking!

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
...the most interesting man in the world. True that.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mostly just court jester.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Please step forward and give this gentleman the true details on Walter. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Be ready for an avalanche of emails!
He is our own Walter - inventor, namesake of the Walter-hog bullet, wildcatter, world traveler, the man the patterned the Dos Equis commercials after- The Most Interesting Man in the World. Known by women everywhere feared by men and furry animals, known for cooking skills, inventor of the Internet and cell phone.
I could go on and on .....
\

Thought you just described Chuck Norris.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Saeed: Please step forward and give this gentleman the true details on Walter. Big Grin

No one would believe me if I told the truth!

Since I have known Walter, I started to believe that the truth is stranger than fiction rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
He is the Chilean Kenny Rogers, teller of bad jokes, King of the spit roast and slayer of buffalo.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"King of the spit roast" ?????????? Eeker

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Get your mind out of the gutter mate Wink

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Get your mind out of the gutter mate"

Please note that we Brits are known for our gentle innocence and I was purely looking to ensure that a statement from one of our equally innocent antipodean cousins wasn't misunderstood wave

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Of course you were dancing

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
He is also a part-time witch doctor.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And Che Guevara's younger brother trying to take over UAE and all Africa

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine what life is going to be without Walter.

Yesterday he came over, and he is supposed to install two scopes on two rifles.

Both are 22 rim fire, and one has open sights as well, the rear is a leaf site that one can push forward to lower down.

I gave him two scopes, and two scope mounts, which I thought will fit just right, as I like my scopes mounted as low as possible.

Walter put a mount on the rifle with the open sights, and announced that the scope won't fit, as the mount is too low.

He left the rifle, and headed to the snack table to get some refreshments.

With a mouthful of home made cake, and a cup of coffee in the other hand, he said "I need a higher scope mount"

"Why do you need a higher scope mount? Did you try that one?"

"Yes, go have a look"

I went and had a look. True, the objective was touching the rear sight.

I moved the scope forward a bit, and it cleared it.

"There, it fits"

He picked the rifle up, and looked through the scope, and said "the scope needs to go forward a bit"

"Fine, that will give us even ore clearance"

"But what happens if we want to mount the scope more back?"

"We don't want the scope more back. It is fine there as it is now"

"I know! But what if we want to have back a little. It will touch the rear sight!"

"Walter, just mount it as it is. No one will move it back"

"As usual, you are so bloody stubborn!"

This is Walter in a nutshell, as Tony will attest. He had first hand experience with him rotflmo

Posts: 66938 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I cannot imagine what life is going to be without Walter.

Yesterday he came over, and he is supposed to install two scopes on two rifles.

Both are 22 rim fire, and one has open sights as well, the rear is a leaf site that one can push forward to lower down.

I gave him two scopes, and two scope mounts, which I thought will fit just right, as I like my scopes mounted as low as possible.

Walter put a mount on the rifle with the open sights, and announced that the scope won't fit, as the mount is too low.

He left the rifle, and headed to the snack table to get some refreshments.

With a mouthful of home made cake, and a cup of coffee in the other hand, he said "I need a higher scope mount"

"Why do you need a higher scope mount? Did you try that one?"

"Yes, go have a look"

I went and had a look. True, the objective was touching the rear sight.

I moved the scope forward a bit, and it cleared it.

"There, it fits"

He picked the rifle up, and looked through the scope, and said "the scope needs to go forward a bit"

"Fine, that will give us even ore clearance"

"But what happens if we want to mount the scope more back?"

"We don't want the scope more back. It is fine there as it is now"

"I know! But what if we want to have back a little. It will touch the rear sight!"

"Walter, just mount it as it is. No one will move it back"

"As usual, you are so bloody stubborn!"

This is Walter in a nutshell, as Tony will attest. He had first hand experience with him rotflmo

Seems logical to me! animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Walter is a bloody nice fella and I'd be glad to have a beer with him any day. What I won't do with him again is get in a vehicle when he's driving! Eeker rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Walter is THE man! beer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Please reconsider putting together a book of your AR vignettes on Walter posted here over the years! Big Grin I am sure that it would become a best seller-it might even make the New York Times bestseller list. I am just not sure whether or not they would classify it as fiction or non-fiction! Include pics! rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Saeed: Please reconsider putting together a book of your AR vignettes on Walter posted here over the years! Big Grin I am sure that it would become a best seller-it might even make the New York Times bestseller list. I am just not sure whether or not they would classify it as fiction or non-fiction! Include pics! rotflmo

I keep telling him I will write a book about him.

He says "no one will believe you!"

As many of you know, Walter has had a quadruple bypass operation over 30 years ago.

The first time I asked him to go on safari, jumped at the idea, thinking that he wanted to hunt in Africa once in his lifetime!!

Now we all know what had happened to that idea!

He has already been on 21 safaris!!

Last year in the Selous he told us that that was his last hunt, and he won't going again, due to health reasons.

A couple of weeks ago he was here.

"I spoke to Alan this morning, he says hello."

"I keep sending him messages, he does not reply"

"You are sending messages to the wrong address, Alan always replies"

"I send messages to Roy and Rene too, they never reply"

"I am sure you are sending messages to the wrong address"

"OK, tell me their addresses"

I checked my address book, and sure enough, he had the wrong addresses.

"Where did you get these address, they never had them??"

"I don't KNOW! It just happens that I wrote them down wrong"

"You mean like everything else you do ha?"

"Yes. Just look at the friends I have! Imagine anyone with such bad luck to get you as a friend"

"Well, this friend of yours, as well as Roy and Alan, are going to be very happy this year"

"And what would make you three musketeers so happy?"

"Enjoying a safari without you"

"Well, I have been thinking about that"

"STOP STOP STOP! No changing your mind now. You had your last safari last year YOU made that announcement - bloody hell, you should have seen the smile on Roy's face as you said that!"

"As I said. I have been thinking The doctor is telling me I am in bad shape. And I don't want to waste any of my time sitting at home. I want to make my time very useful. By annoying you and Roy"

"What about Alan? Aren't you going to annoy him too?"

"I will. But Roy gets annoyed more easily. He laughs when you annoy him But he gets annoyed when I do it"

"I do not know anyone you do not annoy"

"Saeed, it is really very sad. I don't mean it - except with you of course, but people do get annoyed with me"

"Well, you can check AR for our daily live reports"

"Saeed, Saeed, Saeed. Listen to me. If I promise not to annoy you and Roy, can I take my Blaser?"

"You have your bloody Blaser. Take anywhere you like. It is none of my business!"

"Typical! You don't understand! If I go with you on safari this year, and promise to behave myself, can I take my Blaser with me?"

"Nope to both your questions"

"You see I asked THREE questions, and you only answered two. I asked if I could come on safari, take my Blaser, and not annoy you and Roy. So which one is a yes?"

"You can annoy me and Roy from long distance"

"You remember Enrique? He was asking when he can come too"

"What has Enrique got to do with this now?"

By this time Walter has gotten himself a plateful of home made cookies, and a cup of fresh coffee.

"You don't understand. I feel sorry for Rene. Poor woman, she has to run the camp, and cook for you. Enrique and me are masters at making BBQs. And we all enjoy those animals you shoot in the neck specially for a BBQ. So me and Enrique have booked our place for this year's safari. And if you say no, I will tlak to my sweetheart Hessa - I love that girl soooo much. Even if she is becoming almsot as nasty as you are with her tricks. She will tell you to we can go"

"Would you promise that this is your last safari?"

"YES YES I promise! But I might change my mind next year"

"Alright, you and your sidekick Enrique can come"

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Typical! You don't understand! If I go with you on safari this year, and promise to behave myself, can I take my Blaser with me?"

promise to behave myself

HA good luck with that lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Damn, with Saeed's descriptions, I feel as if I am right there witnessing this spectacle! jumping

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Having met Saeed and Walter I can actually hear their voices as they have the conversation above. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Saeed, there's another GREAT IDEA spawned from Bakes' comments! tu2 When you do the book, please also do one in a reading format as well (i.e. book on tape/disk), with the voices and all, so that we can listen to it while driving to work! rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can picture the format of the perfect book, entitled: "The World According to Walter". It would be alternating chapters. One, written by Walter, and the next -- almost a rebuttal, written by Saeed. Or vice versa.

I think it would be hilarious and a great addition to a library.

A couple of these types of self-deprecating humorous books have already been done successfully. Doctari did one -- "It shouldn't have happened" and Hannes Wessels did one, "Tales from the Bush". I might not be perfect on my titles, but both were extremely entertaining.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 We need some entertainment like this for this screwed up planet!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
"Get your mind out of the gutter mate"

Please note that we Brits are known for our gentle innocence and I was purely looking to ensure that a statement from one of our equally innocent antipodean cousins wasn't misunderstood wave

Big Grin tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote