My last elephant hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SMJ Safaris-- Stephan Jacobs
Namibia, Nyae Nyae
July 2022
Video and stills : Igala Productions, Puren Joubert
The team : Tracker 1--- G/og'o, Tracker 2--- !oma, Driver--- !ai!ae The spelling is correct.

This was my last elephant hunt. OL Man time has caught up with me. I wasn't in good enough shape and struggled, had to have the game scout carry my rifle full time which I hated but was necessary. If you can't follow the tracks like these magnificent animals deserve, then it's time to chase something else. Plus, this was Stephan's last year on his contract and, at this point, next year is uncertain, so that played a part in it. This was my 4th hunt in the Nyae Nyae and it's such a magical place I'm not sure I would want to hunt elephant anywhere else.
This was one of my most enjoyable safari experiences, much more than just the hunt. Stephan's family was in camp for three days, his wife, Anza and his son, MW, had never actually followed an elephant track and I was honored to have them experience that for the first time with me. I had to explain to them that the most important thing to remember if we have a bull chase us was NOT TO OUT RUN THE OLD CLIENT!
The first day, Anza jointed us as we tracked 4 bulls, got up close and watched them briefly, backed out with out them even knowing we were there. The next day, MW and his buddy, who was not from a hunting family and had never even seen an elephant outside of a park, tracked 2 bulls with us. We were able to get in close and observe them for several minutes. I can't imagine what was going through those 14 year olds mind.

Third day it was Anza's turn up. Picked up a very distinctive track, deep lugs, which we followed and eventually caught up to a group of 5 bulls. One bull was thin and sway back, defiantly the one we wanted to go for, there was one problem though, one bull was to our left and to get to the bull we wanted we would have to walk in front of this bull, close enough he would see us. The wind was right, but if he saw us, he would run and take the other bulls with him. We decided to skirt around him as far as we could and keep the wind right but he still saw some movement or something he just wasn't sure about. Anyway, instead of running off, he started walking strait toward us. He couldn't smell us but was coming to see what was going on and we were penned down, not moving a muscle while he came closer and closer until he stopped about 20yards away. It was a stare down, the bull was not sure what we were and we were not sure what his intentions were.

Finally, Stephan decided to back out, ever so slowly and quietly and we managed to retreat to a safe distance where we could take a deep breath. Anza, who was not far behind Stephan and me, said she was clenching her fist so tight they cramped and were hard to stretch back out. Fortunately, the bull turned and walked behind the bull we were after, giving us a clear approach. After the up close encounter, the shot was some what anti climatic. I set up in an opening and when the bull walked into the clearing I shot, he went down and then several insurance shots and my elephant hunting days were over. Anza had a front row seat to her first elephant hunt and was, at first, very emotional but after a while she was fine. I guess that's not much different than we are as hunters, I don't take the death of these wonderful animals lightly, but then you understand this one bull will feed a lot of people. The reality of it is, to survive they have to be hunted.

The team, they did a great job, followed this one bull's tracks from the road. It was interesting to see where they were digging for roots and bulbs.

Stephan and Anza, we gave her a hard time about the pink backpack, I told Stephan I was going to call this the pink backpack elephant hunt but he didn't think that was a good idea.

Two happy friends, we have spent a lot of time following tracks together.

The fifth day, we went after buffalo. Because of hoof and mouth these buffalo are in a high fence and I admit , I was a little skeptical but it turned out to be a difficult hunt. We tracked 3 Dugga boys from a watering pan for 3 hours in knee high grass and thick brush, that's tough tracking anywhere. Finally, we caught up to them but getting a good enough look to determine if one was a "non trophy" was tough. When Stephan spotted one with a broken horn, both of us got excited. It took some maneuvering while holding our breath hoping the wind wouldn't give us away to get a shot but patience paid off and with him quartering to me I shot on the point of the shoulder and he crumpled up but then ran. We should have given him more time before we followed but we were sure the shot was good. He only ran 50 yards and lay down but got back up when we approached and after they get the adrenalin flowing they are hard to put back down. There were several shots fired and he really didn't go much farther before going down for good but it added some excitement, that's for sure.

Once again, the team did a great job. For several years, I have wanted an old ,broken horn bull like this. It's called a non trophy but to me it is one of the best trophies I have taken.

Now that is an old warrior.

After the buffalo, we were able to get some Own Use permits for plains game, that's cheap hunting and we had a blast. On the Oryx, he was digging for a huge bulb and had all of his head down in the hole.

Stephan spotted this Wildebeest on the other side of a huge pan, the only way to him was to go around the end, use the brush until it gave out, then bend over as low as this old back would allow and sneak another 100 yards, then get on hands and knees and crawl through waist high reeds for another 100 yards til they ran out. Stephan put the sticks up, I eased up to peek above the grass, got on the sticks and made a good shot. That was fun. The crazy part about it was, when Stephan got a good look at the bull after we had done all the crawling he realized it was a trophy bull but he didn't have the heart to tell this old man he couldn't shoot it. Then, just as a bonus, Puren, the videographer, got out from behind the camera and shot a wildebeest himself.

To end the safari on a high note, Robert, the chef, shot a kudu in the last hour and making it even more special, his daughter was there to experience it with him.

MW maybe a future PH, but for now a gun barer.

What a time these two young men had, what a childhood, rooming the wilds of Africa.

What a beautiful area, notice the hunter is lagging behind.

I didn't know flamingos had black on their wings, they were so beautiful.

Stephan said not to put this picture in the report cause it was the smallest set of tusks he had stood behind but to me it was a symbol of a great hunt. 38# apiece.

This was the last afternoon, the sun was low in the sky causing the grass to have a glow to it. I made the comment, "This is a miniature Serengeti" We saw elephant, wildebeest, kudu, and giraffe. What a fitting way to end the hunt on.

I love this shot, a unique camp built around a baobab tree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great report!

I really enjoyed it!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your experience!
It was an enjoyable read.

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt.. tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A simple and direct report but nevertheless very enjoyable to read. I sense sadness that you won't again take up the track of Elephant but it sounds like you've banked a fortune in great memories to last you your days. Your pics are great. I really like the evening camp pic. Very well done, thankyou.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for letting us walk vicariously in your foot steps

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Great report Randy. Thank you!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
A simple and direct report but nevertheless very enjoyable to read. I sense sadness that you won't again take up the track of Elephant but it sounds like you've banked a fortune in great memories to last you your days. Your pics are great. I really like the evening camp pic. Very well done, thankyou.

Yes, there is some sadness that I won't follow those deep lugged tracks anymore but the Lord has blessed me so much to be able to do it like I have. I'm just a country boy from Alabama and 30 years ago, I never would have even dreamed I would hunt one elephant, much less the 11 that I have. So, no complaints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your pics are great. I really like the evening camp pic

All the credit for the great pics goes to Puren Joubert, Igala productions. He did a tremendous job as well as he was great to have in camp. Some of his work is used on DSC Tracks, the clip where the buffalo charges and the two guys are in front and shoot. He is top of the line.

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Spot on. Thank you

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Great report.
I am rapidly heading in your direction on when and what to hunt.

Saving my legs for grandkids to take hunting!

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Great trophies!

I love the buffalo, and the kids being there.

Well done.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A great report and some splendid hunting there. We all wonder when the "last safari" will be. That's why each one is special and to be fully enjoyed as you did.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Yes, there is some sadness that I won't follow those deep lugged tracks anymore but the Lord has blessed me so much to be able to do it like I have. I'm just a country boy from Alabama and 30 years ago, I never would have even dreamed I would hunt one elephant, much less the 11 that I have. So, no complaints.

Beautiful story, thank you for sharing and the "30 years ago" quote gives a few of us who have never done this some motivation! Thank you Bama

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well done.

We can all learn a lot from your experience and example.

Thanks very much for this excellent report.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this report. What a wonderful time, especially since you’d decided this would be your last elephant.

My hat is off to you, for you’ve lived a blessed safari life, and hopefully the hunts in your future are as great as the ones you’ve already experienced.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Simply outstanding! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Written reports never seem to be able to actually fully capture the full experience of being there. Always better in person.

Unfortunately, we're all arriving at this same point sooner or later. Hopefully, you've instilled the magic of what the African bush is, to the next generation.

Great times and great memories all around!

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir, Great elephant from a beautiful area. I just got back from North of there. Will post my report when I have a moment.

Arjun Reddy

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Great report.
Morale being: hunt while you can.
CF

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Great animals.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and an honor to that animal. As I am aging I think about t he last hunts but also about the blessing of the hunts already taken, the hunts stop but the memories remain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another good hunt!

Sounds like you’ve made some great memories!

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. You're an inspiration to those of us who one day hope to be on the tracks of those magnificent animals. The buff is just simply fantastic!! Wonderful last elephant hunt.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Great report: I can't believe the size of those bulls... 38 LBS that would be a tusker elsewhere, congrats to you and Stephan!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManuelM:
Great report: I can't believe the size of those bulls... 38 LBS that would be a tusker elsewhere, congrats to you and Stephan!

They are huge, you have to experience it to really get the feel of how big they are. When you get to within 20 yards and look up at them, that is a high you can't get anywhere else. This tusk weighed 78# and you could stick you arm up to your elbow into it. 29" in the head, imagine what it would weigh with a short nerve.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
A dream hunt for sure, What would a typical "trophy hunt" cost in this area ? If I remember correct my ele in my avatar weighed in at 78#

And did you learn the native language Big Grin

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great way to end your African hunting saga!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
One can tell from your how humble you are how much you respect hunting these great animals. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
A dream hunt for sure, What would a typical "trophy hunt" cost in this area ? If I remember correct my ele in my avatar weighed in at 78#

. Not sure about the price with this being the last year in Stephan’s contract, next year is uncertain. No, I didn’t learn the language, the PHs speak one language and the staff speak a different one. I’m from Alabama and some people think I speak a foreign languages .

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

. Not sure about the price with this being the last year in Stephan’s contract, next year is uncertain. No, I didn’t learn the language, the PHs speak one language and the staff speak a different one. I’m from Alabama and some people think I speak a foreign languages .

clicking could be hard to learn I would think Smiler

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

What a magnificent story and great photographs! A great last ele hunt for sure! Thank you for sharing - a great read, a great last tusker and an awesome buff bull!

Out of interest what rifle / caliber were you shooting ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m from Alabama and some people think I speak a foreign languages .

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well played Randy! At the age of 75, I just completed my sixth and probably final safari to Namibia. Unlike your superb Report, I’m going to forego writing one myself. I was able to shoot my second trophy bull Eland, my 2 biggest Springbok and a gnarly old Warthog. The many pictures we took and the memories of my six safaris should suffice to keep me content for the rest of my life.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Too few reports these days…

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

What a magnificent story and great photographs! A great last ele hunt for sure! Thank you for sharing - a great read, a great last tusker and an awesome buff bull!

Out of interest what rifle / caliber were you shooting ?

Just a plain blue collar Remington 700 in 375 H&H with 300 g Woodleigh Hydro solids for the elephant and A Frames for every thing else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bama15 What an amazing hunt- some super old trophies in a very special place- congratulations!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this great report! Congratulations on a fantastic hunt!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote