New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reload for the AR-50?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering getting an AR-50, but I was told that the chamber in them is too long to permit seating a bullet to touch the lands. This is something I have heard since 2000. Are the chambers still made this way? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a reply from Armalite today. Their tech department says they do not know what the freebore of the AR-50 chamber is. I thought that was unusual. Does Armalite actually make the AR-50 or do they contract it out to another company? I am trying to find out more.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a pretty long throat, at least the older ones do. Don't know about the newer guns.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I have an older model AR50. I can seat the old WW11 red tipped tracer into the throat using a once fired case. As with all rifles the bullet ogive will some what determine how long the loaded round length needs to be. I have always heard that serious target shooters always rebarrel the AR50 as the throat is long. I would say it all depends what you want to do with the gun. Serious target work would require a rebarrel INMHO.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have one that is 6 or 7 years old. It does have a long throat. When I load the Hornady 750's i can easily hold sub MOA groups out to about 300yards. I am not a good enough shot to do great shooting much further than that. At 100 yards it's a raged hole about 1" in diameter for a 5 shot group.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Are you able to seat the bullet to touch the lands?

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to get a chamber casting done pretty soon to see what I am dealing with. I have not started loading for my AR50 yet, but plan to.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote