New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you clean the inside of your case necks when loading? If yes, how often?

xphunter

[ 05-16-2003, 00:31: Message edited by: xphunter ]

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run a brush through the necks almost everytime I load......that and tumbling the cases does all the cleaning mine get.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep every time. I tumble my brass but usually brush a little lube in the neck before sizing so I just automaticly brush them out. I also run them down the stem of the flash hole deburring tool just in case there is a little piece of media in there. Consistency is the key to accuracy so I been told so I just run my brass thru the 'routine' every time.
And IMHO this topic isn't OT at all.
Wes

[ 05-15-2003, 05:31: Message edited by: KTS1 ]

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, every time I size.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Generally I tumble my cases prior to sizing them to remove the carbon residue. However the times I do not tumble my cases prior to sizing them I then run a brush in the inside of the neck. Sure seems to make them slide off of the expander ball a lot easier, so I am thinking it stresses the brass less also.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also do it every time.

Posts: 71 | Location: Worland, WY | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Never!

Ok.. that's not true. Every time the depriming rod goes through it cleans it out.

[ 05-16-2003, 03:24: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
I brush them out every time and put lube inside the neck on every fifth one. Slim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only wierd duck out there.
Thanks for the responses.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No XP you're not the only wierd duck out there, but on a scale of 1-10....?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use Ye Olde Bellm Headspace Indicator, you will find two things.

One, the expander ball does in fact pull the shoulder back out from where the shoulder in the die set it, and two, it varies from one case to the next.

You can verify this by removing the decap stem, dropping a sized case into the chamber, and measuring how far it sticks out.

Then install the decap stem, and you will find sized cases stick out more.

Check more cases and you will find it will vary from one case to the next, largely due to the resistance of the expander ball not being consistent from one case to the next.

This is why at least in theory the full length size neck bushing dies offered by Redding are the best thing to come along in a long, long time.

My advice.... keep the resistance in the necks as consistent as you can if you use conventional dies with expander balls. Clean necks and use a lube inside the neck that will not effect the powder.

The eliptical carbide expander balls are a plus also.

These are the kinds of things you will never see in a lifetime of shooting and reloading if 1) you do not know WHAT to look for or 2) have the means to measure it accurately..... thus,

Bellm Headspace Indicator

After you study the results you get taking measurements, I think the answer to the question about cleaning case necks will be quite obvious. But folks shooting the bolt guns don't have this opportunity.

They can keep the headspace tight in the bolt guns ok, but the varying tension in the case necks also distorts the necks and throws them out of alignment with the case body. Bullets seated in these out-of-line necks are also out of alignment with the bore.

Of course, the whole objective is to get bullets started down the hole straight so they land in the same place. Gotta load 'em straight, first.

Mike

[ 05-19-2003, 21:59: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote