New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/C Contenders...are they still being used
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few barrels, 10" .45/.410, a 14" .223 with 2x7 PA EER Burris, and a 10" .444 marlin barrel. I hunted with the .444 barrel many years ago but had to put the handguns away for many years due to being shipped overseas. Wel, now we are retired and I have been going through all my old shooting stuff and was thinking of getting back into the single shot pistol hobby. Unfortunately I also shoot revolvers and auto loaders so one of the 'hobbies' is going to have to be sidelined. Trying to figure out if I should sell the TC stuff, the revolvers, or autoloaders. I honestly can't afford to spend the time doing each.
What is the more popular shooting platform these days? Not interested in all the 'tacticool' type shooting as I had plenty of that in the military. Mostly wanting hunting and target type for my past time. For the hunting side, my FA .454 covers all I will be hunting so maybe I should stick with the revolvers. Is there much market for TC's these days?

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your friends! TC's going strong in my world!! wave

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still use one. I've got barrels in 357 Mag, 45/410 and 7mm TCU. I'd like to get a barrel in 44 mag as well.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes they are...and the market for them is strong. I still use them, albeit now in rifle format -- something you could consider since revolvers have your handgun hunting covered.

This snapshot was actually taken earlier today:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9317 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 22 Hornet. Shoots well.
JP

Posts: 32 | Location: victoria,tx | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Yes they are...and the market for them is strong. I still use them, albeit now in rifle format -- something you could consider since revolvers have your handgun hunting covered.

This snapshot was actually taken earlier today:

Good looking guns, I had never noticed your right hand is not your right hand.

I like the high plains stocks.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple frames and a few barrels.

They are good single shots and useful

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Have 3 barrels and a couple of frames. One has a 223 carbine barrel that I'm amazed isn't shot out by now, because it always goes with me to the range. Still love them

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Had an old fart buddy in the early 70's that had a TC in 30-30.He got a kick out of saying (too many times) What I've got here punk is the most powerful handgun in the world.Now you ask yourself did he fire one or none.Feeling lucky punk?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two pistol frames with Pachmayr grips, one rifle frame with Boyds thumbhole stock. Three rifle barrels, but only eight handgun barrels left. Have shot Contenders regularly for the past 40 years.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I've owned Contender pistol length barrels since the mid 80's when I started shooting IHMSA and at one time I had well over twenty barrels......I've never owned a rifle length barrel.

Getting older I started thinning the herd on all my firearms a couple years ago and in the Contender I kept the barrels that I figured I couldn't live without for now.

Listed below are the five barrels that I kept, are all 14" and scoped with Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 2x6 pistol scopes.......I also kept four frames.

.22 LR.....6mmTCU.....6.5mmTCU.....7mmTCU.....300 Whisper.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
IKE-

Those barrels will cover lots of ground from a hunting standpoint! My problem is that mine all are about the same. Hope you are doing well...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9317 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of course Contenders are still being used! These bbl's & frames were created by God, so JD Jones & Mike Bellm could be born, along with others who were crack shot, master gunsmiths, & ballisticians, all rolled into 1: who would go on to create a 1.5 lb target trigger pull by just changing a spring, variable magnification pistol scopes that had to see from 25-300 yds, and amazing wildcat cartidges that would group their caliber @ 100 yds, who so changed the accuracy, reach, and poewr of that platform, additionally with precise headspace and reloading protocols that changed their reloading over night. These amazing wildcats could drop anything that walks the earth with 1 shot, out to 300 yds, awhile creating the slowest, sweetest, straight back, recoil push into your hand, that would not destroy your nervous system, your extremities, and your hearing, and... could be comfortably slung all day, could flip into action on a dime, and lastly...with a Harris Bipod attached behind the front sight, created that bench rest shooting position at the range, where you wouldn't question that 1 hole load you just worked up in minimal time....The reloads were good, season to season, as it only took 3 rounds before the next season, to convince myself they were still hitting where they always did!

TC was a most incredible Company throughout their history. Back in the 80's my original frame that I had just customized, stretched the round pin hole in the frame from shooting 3 of JD Jones's very hot, Super Blackhawk only, heavy cast 44 Mag loads in the Contender. On the 3rd shot, the frame opened by itself, & ejected the case! (I thought the frame wasn't fully locked and fired a 4th round, that hit me in the head when it opened!.. DUH!

TC was kind enough to replace the frame at N/C, and so thoughtfully, removed my custom trigger,& hammer,(that I gunsmithed), along with Mike Bellm's incredible trigger spring, and installed them into the new frame for me! Liability issues weren't issues back then, as TC was obviously impressed with & approved of my work on their trigger & hammer,(and MB's spring replacement). We also spoke often of my many TC wildcats, as we were writing the reloading books as they were loaded! So I guess the relationship that existed, helped, too!
Is there a such thing as relationships with Firearm MFG'ers today?

That replacement frame, remains in NIB condition, and is still proud to date and mate with the following:
1. 358 JDJ, 14", using a 35 Rem TC bbl that JD rechambered, & TSOB'd, (which it really didn't need). This started my wildcat fantasy with this platform!
2. 308 Bellm, in a 14" SS bbl. It was a TC 30 Herrit bbl bought specifically to rechamber.
3. 308 Bellm, in a SS Contender Carbine bbl, that Mike rechambered to match the chamber of the 14" bbl he did. That blonde tiger maple thumbhole stock & forend, that was popular at the time completed the package.
4. 222 RMAI, also done by Mile Bellm, on a 14" 223 TC bbl that was horribly innacurate. I couldn't wait to send it to Mike; it produced 22-250 ballistics, with match accuracy!
5. A 7-30 waters bbl came before the 308's; it never goy the AI chamber after the 308B came along, and was retired.It took many deer at 50-125 yds, w/ Sierra SSP bullets
6. 10" TC bbls in .22RF,and their "collectors" 44 Mag with the choke, are also retired. The 22 was very inaccurate, & the 44 caused the "auto ejecting modification" & the "stretch marks."
7. A custom Hendrick, Texas Contender, 410 Gauge bbl, vent rib, dot sights, with his custom matching, figured walnut forearm. Some very unsporting dude ebayed the beautiful matching shoulder stock, before the bbl went to me, and refused to then sell it to me afterward. Shame on Him, 20+ years ago!..Hey, you still out there with my stock?...

Didn't mean to write a love story, but couldn't help it. These calibers took many deer, caribou, and elk over the year. They require no maintenance whatsoever, hit to the same point of impact year after year. With a cartridge holder on your wrist, and 2 rounds between your fingers as it supports the forend, it's as fast as a bolt action (if repeated shots are occasionally necessary), but it does make you a very confident 1 shot kill, marksman/ hunter out of you!
My 454 Casull,w/SSK hot loads is a major OUCH when attempting to work up loads. My SSK hot loaded 44 Ruger SBH, a toy compared to the 454 with its SSK hot loads, is still an OUCH! My massive 10", scoped, 475 Wildy, with recoil like a 22 compared to the other 2, is great to hunt with; but these are never my 1st choice when November rolls around. I've had them as long as the TC, but the TC is my main squeeze every time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been in and out of them more than once. I am currently out and will stay out. Never could get great accuracy. It wasn't terrible, just not as good as I wanted. Had several MGM barrels and they were the best I ever owned.
And I liked the G2 frames better than the older ones.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DidIFire5or6:
Of course Contenders are still being used! These bbl's & frames were created by God, so JD Jones & Mike Bellm could be born, along with others who were crack shot, master gunsmiths, & ballisticians, all rolled into 1: who would go on to create a 1.5 lb target trigger pull by just changing a spring, variable magnification pistol scopes that had to see from 25-300 yds, and amazing wildcat cartidges that would group their caliber @ 100 yds, who so changed the accuracy, reach, and poewr of that platform, additionally with precise headspace and reloading protocols that changed their reloading over night. These amazing wildcats could drop anything that walks the earth with 1 shot, out to 300 yds, awhile creating the slowest, sweetest, straight back, recoil push into your hand, that would not destroy your nervous system, your extremities, and your hearing, and... could be comfortably slung all day, could flip into action on a dime, and lastly...with a Harris Bipod attached behind the front sight, created that bench rest shooting position at the range, where you wouldn't question that 1 hole load you just worked up in minimal time....The reloads were good, season to season, as it only took 3 rounds before the next season, to convince myself they were still hitting where they always did!

TC was a most incredible Company throughout their history. Back in the 80's my original frame that I had just customized, stretched the round pin hole in the frame from shooting 3 of JD Jones's very hot, Super Blackhawk only, heavy cast 44 Mag loads in the Contender. On the 3rd shot, the frame opened by itself, & ejected the case! (I thought the frame wasn't fully locked and fired a 4th round, that hit me in the head when it opened!.. DUH!

TC was kind enough to replace the frame at N/C, and so thoughtfully, removed my custom trigger,& hammer,(that I gunsmithed), along with Mike Bellm's incredible trigger spring, and installed them into the new frame for me! Liability issues weren't issues back then, as TC was obviously impressed with & approved of my work on their trigger & hammer,(and MB's spring replacement). We also spoke often of my many TC wildcats, as we were writing the reloading books as they were loaded! So I guess the relationship that existed, helped, too!
Is there a such thing as relationships with Firearm MFG'ers today?

That replacement frame, remains in NIB condition, and is still proud to date and mate with the following:
1. 358 JDJ, 14", using a 35 Rem TC bbl that JD rechambered, & TSOB'd, (which it really didn't need). This started my wildcat fantasy with this platform!
2. 308 Bellm, in a 14" SS bbl. It was a TC 30 Herrit bbl bought specifically to rechamber.
3. 308 Bellm, in a SS Contender Carbine bbl, that Mike rechambered to match the chamber of the 14" bbl he did. That blonde tiger maple thumbhole stock & forend, that was popular at the time completed the package.
4. 222 RMAI, also done by Mile Bellm, on a 14" 223 TC bbl that was horribly innacurate. I couldn't wait to send it to Mike; it produced 22-250 ballistics, with match accuracy!
5. A 7-30 waters bbl came before the 308's; it never goy the AI chamber after the 308B came along, and was retired.It took many deer at 50-125 yds, w/ Sierra SSP bullets
6. 10" TC bbls in .22RF,and their "collectors" 44 Mag with the choke, are also retired. The 22 was very inaccurate, & the 44 caused the "auto ejecting modification" & the "stretch marks."
7. A custom Hendrick, Texas Contender, 410 Gauge bbl, vent rib, dot sights, with his custom matching, figured walnut forearm. Some very unsporting dude ebayed the beautiful matching shoulder stock, before the bbl went to me, and refused to then sell it to me afterward. Shame on Him, 20+ years ago!..Hey, you still out there with my stock?...

Didn't mean to write a love story, but couldn't help it. These calibers took many deer, caribou, and elk over the year. They require no maintenance whatsoever, hit to the same point of impact year after year. With a cartridge holder on your wrist, and 2 rounds between your fingers as it supports the forend, it's as fast as a bolt action (if repeated shots are occasionally necessary), but it does make you a very confident 1 shot kill, marksman/ hunter out of you!
My 454 Casull,w/SSK hot loads is a major OUCH when attempting to work up loads. My SSK hot loaded 44 Ruger SBH, a toy compared to the 454 with its SSK hot loads, is still an OUCH! My massive 10", scoped, 475 Wildy, with recoil like a 22 compared to the other 2, is great to hunt with; but these are never my 1st choice when November rolls around. I've had them as long as the TC, but the TC is my main squeeze every time!

Don't forget what Don Bower did with them. I've watched the guys shoot them to 1000 yds at the MOA and take first place. They will shoot.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
I still hunt with my contender in 223 and 44 magnum plus a couple of others also.I even have one of the last TCR rifles made and hunT with it also.

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Encore and wish I had got a Contender
for the cheaper used barrels! I would love to find affordable ones in 22H,44mag,357mag and 30-30 and a few others. The MGM and other custom brands are just more than this old retired stiff
can afford.

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget Herrett, Milek, Ulgalde, Shearer, Bowers, Jones and countless others I have failed to mention that were part of taking the Contender format to the ultimate ends of creativity.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I have been in and out of them more than once. I am currently out and will stay out. Never could get great accuracy. It wasn't terrible, just not as good as I wanted. Had several MGM barrels and they were the best I ever owned.

I lied.
I am back in with a G2 frame and MGM 20 AH barrel at 22"
Have not shot it a lot but is a 1" combination and should work good on prairie dogs.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still hunt and always will hunt with Contenders or Encore. The first custom contender barrel I ever bought was my 309 JDJ and I always use it first. If I shoot a deer then I take another SSK caliber.

I shot this guy 3:30 yesterday afternoon @ 40 yds. Found him piled up 50 yds.

Nosler 165 Ballistic tip Entrance hole on right exit on the left.

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Trusty ol JDJ too.

Challenge your limits

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well done, HHI. Merry Christmas.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16269 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I only have one. A 10" barreled contender in 30 Herret. Shoots great.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2281 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up until a month ago I had 3 G2 frames and a collection of carbine barrels, 204, 7-30 waters, a 17 ackley bee chambered from a 17HMR, the 45cal mzzldr, and maybe another one or two. I had a pachmyer pistol grip set and finally picked up a 14" 6.5 TCU
. That thing is fun to shoot and seems to be about minute of angle accurate. Planning on playing with them a bit more and taking a deer with the TCU.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I lied.
I am back in with a G2 frame and MGM 20 AH barrel at 22"
Have not shot it a lot but is a 1" combination and should work good on prairie dogs.

I don't know you...but I knew you were lying! Smiler
I have been in and out of Encores so many times I lost count.
Currently have 2 frames...one is my current varmint gun in .223 and the other shares time with a 209x.50, ,280 Rem, and .45-70 (all rifle) bbls
My Contender is an early (non easy open) frame with .357 Max and .222 Rem pistol bbls.

I'm hooked. Every Encore I've ever owned was well under MOA

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure; 375 JDJ; best thing Jones ever did. I have smaller barrels but they aren't as much fun. I have a 30-30 and a 6.8 SPC. Just go "pop".

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
dpcd
I seem to remember Bill Falin's comment in the AA reloading manual stating that the 375 JDJ had the distinction of blowing the doors off of the shooting shed at AA.

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on the lookout for a pistol length 223 barrel.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Max503
Have you tried putting a WTB ad in the Classified section here? Lots of traffic here and is pistol length 10", 12" or 14"?

Or, over at Ed's?

http://www.edstc.com/

I have always heard it is better to call him.
He does tax work of some kind so may be hard to get in touch with.

Or,

Specialty Pistols

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve

I think one has to be a paid member on the second one.

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will contact my kid in N.C. He has all of my TC barrels, including a .223.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Son has a .223 TC barrel Super 14. Iron sights with a Burris scope mount. He also will sell the scope. He says it is a clean barrel with minor frame wear.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Contenders that have some miles on them.

One pretty much lives with a 223 Rem barrel for varmint duty.

The other is shown here with a 7-1/2" .44 Mag (Super 14) that I had SSK chop & crown so I could carry it in a 6" barrel size revolver holster.

I still have the 10" octagonal .44 Mag barrel and that is fierce to shoot and scary to view - the metal at the muzzle is VERY thin. I have retired that one.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two. Both in carbine form. A stainless 22 Hornet in a home made stock and a blue 6mm TCU also wearing home made stocks. I love them. They are light, short overall length even with a 24 inch barrel and my kids love shooting both at ground squirrels and such.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my .223 Contender in action

178 yards, 50 gr. BT

Larry Rogers

Posts: 244 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I still have a TC Contender with a scoped .223 barrel, and HAD a .41 mag 16" bull barrel, that was rechambered for a .411 JDJ and a ported muzzle brake perminately mounted to make the barrel 18 1/2 inch barrel to make it legal to be used with a rifle stock! It is also scoped.

I haven't shot this TC in many years!
…………...………………...………….. old BOOM ...……………...…... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote