New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished Laminate Buttstock & forend
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry for the bad pictures guys but all I have is a quick cam. I can assure you that it's a beautiful piece of work. It was finished by my friend Georgia Jim. You can see it here on page 11 and 12.
http://www.outdoor-search.com/gallery/Free_For_All?&page=11

[ 05-16-2003, 01:55: Message edited by: Jules ]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow thats nice.. If you don't mind me asking do you know if Wenig does lefty stocks like that? Also around how much did it run you to get it finished? Man thats a nice looking set up whats the length of barrel on your contender?

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Not really sure what Jim charges to sand and finish and install a pad. I had a bunch of other work done too. Grips and forends and such.
Weings would charge you over $500. for a fully finished Stock and forend with a recoil pad fitted.
That is a 20" SS bull Douglas barrel made by VVCG and chambered to 250Imp by Mike Bellm. It has a Bushnell Elite 5x15x40 in Warne rings on a VVCG base.
I ordered an 11" forend but it was over 14" when I got and I kinda like it that long on a carbine.
Weings will make you a righty or lefty. Took a little over a month at $138. with shipping.

[ 05-16-2003, 04:39: Message edited by: Jules ]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Jules that is really great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool thanks for the info.

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Jim's email is jmsjhw@hotmail.com
Drop him a line an see what he charges for the job. His work is great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks Jules just sent that message out we'll see. I do appreciate all the info but you really should stop posting all those pics of all your beautiful wood your going to get me in trouble with the wife..

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

<bates2rw>
posted
Jules, That is a great looking stock set. Those pictures really have me thinking. I may need to order a red/black or blue/black for my encore rifle!!!! It is just a tough decision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It really is a nice set. Shoulders well and with a 1" recoil pad it should be perfict on the bench.
You would like it i'm sure.

<bates2rw>
posted
Jules, who is makes those pistol grips that you have with your photos. They look pretty nice. I've never seen any shaped like that. DO they feel and handle as good as they look?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend Jim makes them. They feel and look great. He can make them to your hand size. Sm. Med. or Lg.
He has different styles also. You can email him at jmsjhw@hotmail.com
He may be taking orders but i'm not sure. He had a few things to iron out but he may have done that. Best to email him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jules what type of recoil pad is it that you had him use? Also what size is it. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a Pachmayr D750B. You can see it here>>
http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/
It's a large black 1" pad, but I think a med. would have been big enough.

[ 05-23-2003, 03:22: Message edited by: Jules ]

<bates2rw>
posted
Jules, I hope I am not bothering you with too many questions, but I have another. I read the original post that went along with the stock set when you first posted about it. How hard was it to set the forend up to accept the VVC hanger bar system?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No bother at all, but I can't answer that. My friend Jim has done the work for me.
BTW, He in now a member of this forum and should be able to answer your questions.

posted Hide Post
TO ANSWER BATES2RW QUESTION ---- I HAVE FOUND THAT THE BEST WAY TO CUT THE SLOT FOR A HANGER BAR IS WITH A PLUNGE ROUTER AND A STRAIGHT CUTTING BIT OF THE RIGHT SIZE. I THINK VV USES A 3/8" BAR AND BULLBERRY USES A 5/16" BAR. YOU CAN'T FREE HAND THE ROUTER. YOU HAVE TO MAKE A JIG TO HOLD THE ROUTER STRAIGHT WHEN IT CUTS AND THE JIG HAS TO HOLD THE FOREND STRAIGHT ALSO. THE FOREND AND ROUTER MUST BE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT WITH ONE ANOTHER OR YOUR BEATING A DEAD HOURSE FROM THE GET GO !!!!!! IF YOU LIKE I CAN SEND YOU A PICTURE OF WHAT THE JIG LOOKS LIKE THAT I MADE. ALTHOUGH A ROUTER CUTS THE CLEANEST IT CAN BE DONE WITH A DRILL PRESS. BUT, MOST DRILL PRESSES HAVE TO MUCH CHATTER IN THEM TO CUT CLEAN ENOUGH. IF YOU MESS UP ON CUTTING THE SLOT THE FIRST TRY YOU CAN FILL THE BAD SLOT UP WITH BEDDING COMPOUND AND TRY AGAIN. ONE OTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT IF YOUR FOREND ALREADDY HAS MOUNTING HOLES IN IT THEN YOU WILL WIND UP WITH MORE HOLES IN DIFFERENT PLACES. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5 | Location: COVINGTON, GA. | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. Now these guys won't have to ask me all these questions about your grips and forends. Now they can get it straight from the man himself. [Big Grin]