New
Find
Notify
Tools

G&A article....300 WSM Striker????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found the reported velocities very interesting......looks like the ammo and pistol tested didn't shoot much (if any?) faster than listed loads in the Hodgdon #27 manual for a 14" 308???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
I guess this could be one of those points of diminishing returns relating to efficiency in the barrel length the round is fired in.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the 308 is the clear winner then of those two! I cannot say that i am surprised. You can only burn soooo much powder in a 14" tube. Does anyone know what the difference between it and the 30-06 are in pistol length barrels?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope XP100Hunter jumps in here, his XP in 30 Patriot is doing much more than the 300 WSM Striker in the article...

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the Striker 300WSM on the savage website I thought I had to have one! Then after a bit of re-evaluation and then reading the G&A article I thought the same thing...a .308 Win would be more efficient and most likely more accurate.

Posts: 130 | Location: Armagh, PA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys;

From one point of view that has a XP-100 in the 300WWSM.

The 150gr velocity is pretty good but the 180gr is a little weak I am getting almost the same velocity out of the 180gr as I am getting out of the 150gr.

Just like xp100hunter will tell you it is easier to push a heavier bullet out of the tube a short tube that is than a lighter bullet.

I have got 3000fps out of my 300WSM with the 150gr bullet but could not get it to do get it to again.But all of this is pushing the MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting 2750fps with the 150gr and 2700fps with the 180gr all of this is home made moly bullets.

If you check with someone with a short barrel 308 you will find out that this is a lot better.Just about 308 ballstics in a rifle.I have done some 308 loads in a 15' Encore and these velocity are not close.About 300fps to 400fps slower.The Encore can be pushed so much and it will give,the XP action is a lot stonger.

This is for what it is worth.I get the same out of the factory loaded 150gr bullets as they did with the Striker.But now that I am going with the new brass and doing some new loads we will see what happens.

Take it for what it is worth. Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, Glanced at a report on the 300 WSM in a "Handgun Annual" at BAM this PM. Using factory loads, velocity for 150 gr bullet was 2700 fps. Velocities for 180 bullets ranged from a low of 2350 fps [Frown] to high of 2500 fps. (The 180 gr velocities are approximate, from what I remember. Obviously, had I been REALLY impressed, I would have remembered exactly.!) It's going to be faster than the 308 Win, as it should be, but at the expense of a great deal MORE powder, blast, and flash. [Eek!] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<xp100hunter>
posted
Been gone all last week at church camp--it seems like the campers keep getting younger or I am getting......
I think Savage made a mistake when they put a 12 inch barrel for a case capacity that size. The overall length with the muzzle brake is 14 inches (if I read it right). The 308, 30-284 would be much more suited to that barrel length. Personally, I would want at least a 15 inch barrel for the 30-284. If they made the Striker with a 15-16 inch barrel one would be able to better take advantage of the case capacity. My 7.82 Patriot has consistently chronoed 150 grain bullets at 3,000 FPS. This is using Lazzeroni's load data and not exceeding it. I can seat out my bullets to where the base of a 150 grain Nosler Balistic Tip is at the neck shoulder juncture and be just off the lands/leade. The Lazz cases were designed to handle high pressure=speed. The WSM case is slightly smaller, but overall is a better case when it comes to quality. You won't see many short action Lazz cases in 1,000 yard competition, but you will see more of the WSM cases being used. The advantage of using a less efficient case (large case-short barrel) for me is flatter trajectory and more bullet velocity at impact. I don't care whether it is ineffecient or not as long as it accurate at the ranges I will be using it at. The biggest problem today when it comes to long range shooting is not the drop but the windage. Chronographs, laser range-finders, mil-dot style reticules,and ballistics software pretty much take care of the elevation issue. It is the wind at longer ranges which can make a doable shot on a calm day impossible on a windy day. This makes the quest for an accurate hunting bullet with a high BC even more desireable that will perform over a wide velocity range. That is harder to find than one may expect--I'm thinking in terms of elk. If I wanted a long range sniper for deer sized game I would go to a smaller bore, but that is just me.
xphunter

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Has anybody chronoed the Win 150 grain 300 WSM factory ammo? I have heard from two different sources that it is extremely inconsistant. The statement above about the 180s is making me wonder too....
Thanks, Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mssmagnum:
Sounds like the 308 is the clear winner then of those two! I cannot say that i am surprised. You can only burn soooo much powder in a 14" tube. Does anyone know what the difference between it and the 30-06 are in pistol length barrels?

Magnum I have a 15" barrel for the encore in both 308 and 30-06. the 06 is clearly 210-290 fps faster ...does not matter if it is factory ammo or reloads
That may not be much but it is faster
Fireball [Eek!]

<pshooter>
posted
I've been studying this 300wsm striker since they came out, trying to answer the question will it give me 3000fps with a 150gr bullet. What I have learned is definitly not in the factory config. I contacted Savage about a 15" uncompensated version from their custom shop and they said it would be $667.00 (I think), But I'm not confident even 15" would give me 2950-3000fps so I'm holding off. I tried to get some simulated load data from Hogden and they were very rude and told me rifle calibers were out of place in pistols (Imagine that!) and wouldn't help. Muzzle vel. lost per inch of bbl. length is anywhere from -25fps to -50fps per inch so figuring on 26" bbl. length data the gun wouldn't do it. So I'm still cyphering. mvm

<xp100hunter>
posted
pshooter,
Why do you need 2,950-3000 FPS?
To justify going to a large case capacity and added recoil?
I will be doing some load development with 180 and 200 grain Sierra GameKings for my Patriot XP-100 in the next month or so. I will not use the Swift Scirocco's now. They do not have reputation for accuracy and they foul barrels quickly. I'm curious to see what I end up with accuracy & velocity wise.
I think you will need a 16 or 17 inch barrel to hit your velocity goal of 3,000 FPS. It's just a guess though.
xphunter

<pshooter>
posted
XP, Less margin for error and more WHOMPOM. I'm allready getting 2600fps+ with a 150gr so I can't justify spending $700.00 for anything less. I think you're right about the 16" to 17" bbl, just dont want to go that long. I would have to pull it out of the holster with my teeth as it would be clear up under my arm pit (hehe). mvm